• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 9: Pesco Sannita–Gran Sasso 225 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 9: Pesco Sannita–Gran Sasso 225

My guess is that this will be boring and we won't see anything gc related before the final 3 km. Maybe someone will crack on the first part of the climb but for that someone would have to set a very high pace early on and as there are close to 50 kilometers left from the start of the penultimate categorized climb with hardly any rest in between I don't think anybody will be willing to do so. So I think the time gaps will be very similar to the ones on Etna.

I really really hope for a Ciccone win out of the breakaway tomorrow and as there are lots of mountain points available many riders like him will surely join the break. The big question is whether Michelton will allow the break to take the win. Yates looked so great on Etna that I think his team will would like everything back together at the start of the final ramp so he can go for 10 bonus seconds.

Re: Re:

Frankschleck said:
Alexandre B. said:
1526139113-gran-sasso.png

was this the exact same stage?
1999:Major ascents: Valli Olmo di Bobbi, Ovidoli, Gran Sasso d'Italia

Looks like the real action only began in the last 3 kilometers and Gotti blew apart trying to cope with Pantani!

https://youtu.be/F0kfzCa_6h8

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Formolo to attack on Calascio to crawl back some time, someone like Großschartner could enter the breakaway and help him on the false flat after that climb.
For the stage win my favourite is Ciccone, probably him vs. Gesink, Hermans and a Trek guy like Pantano(?) from the breakaway.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Pantani didn't even care whether someone was on his wheel and willing to cooperate. He just kept accelerating over and over again. The way he dropped first Riis, then Virenque, then Ullrich on Alpe d'Huez in 1997 was even more impressive than this display.
It took a real man to drop Ullrich in 1997 like that. Holy crap, he was strong, but Pantani basically did to Ullrich what he had done to the rest of the field on Arcalis, just Ullrich actually was even more impressive IMO!

Pure mental Astana lift off tomorrow. Well I hope so. But seriously, it's quite an intriguing stage given where we are so far in the race. Not at all impressed by Sky/Froome so far and also not convinced by Dumoulin either (how is Ten Dam btw?). Gut feeling is, UAE will go for it for ARU tomorrow but nothing would surprise me. Don't really care tbh, fridge full of cold beer, settee booked from 2-5, bring it on:)

Valv.Piti said:
staubsauger said:
Pantani didn't even care whether someone was on his wheel and willing to cooperate. He just kept accelerating over and over again. The way he dropped first Riis, then Virenque, then Ullrich on Alpe d'Huez in 1997 was even more impressive than this display.
It took a real man to drop Ullrich in 1997 like that. Holy crap, he was strong, but Pantani basically did to Ullrich what he had done to the rest of the field on Arcalis, just Ullrich actually was even more impressive IMO!

Don't forget that Pantani lost 3 minutes the very next day.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
It's time for everybody who's not Tom Dumoulin or Chris Froome and want to win this Giro to test Tom Dumoulin and gain more on Chris Froome. Tom didn't look particularly comfortable when the road was going up and Froomey is barely hanging on. Some rain would be good.
Pretty much this. Time for the climbers to go strong.

Escarabajo said:
Rollthedice said:
It's time for everybody who's not Tom Dumoulin or Chris Froome and want to win this Giro to test Tom Dumoulin and gain more on Chris Froome. Tom didn't look particularly comfortable when the road was going up and Froomey is barely hanging on. Some rain would be good.
Pretty much this. Time for the climbers to go strong.
Yep...

And since LaFlo made my prediction, I'll make hers: Alberto Contador will win this bike race ;) .

Profile looks exactly the sort that suggests a climber putting their team flat out on the last climb, losing every teammate by the last 4km when the gradient goes up. Which team(s) do you all think, if any, will put the hammer down on the last climbs? It's 40 km (!) of a gentle grind, ideal for a strong team to go hard at. 3-4km to go looks to be the ideal and most likely time that a GC attack will happen.

Random link: this page has all the stage profiles on a single page https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/giro-d-italia/2018/stage-5/stages/all-stage-profiles

I just had a nice glass of Pinot Grigio. Hope it helps.

Dumoulin is playing games, buying his time, Froome is not good. Time to put him away. Or is he playing games too? Time to find out. Pinot and Pozzo-Vino should make a deal until week 3 and shake the coconut tree. If Froome falls, Aru, that's big for them. Yeast? Do him week 3.

Tonton said:

Dumoulin is playing games, buying his time, Froome is not good. Time to put him away. Or is he playing games too? Time to find out. Pinot and Pozzo-Vino should make a deal until week 3 and shake the coconut tree. If Froome falls, Aru, that's big for them. Yeast? Do him week 3.

Should have drank the whole bottle for luck. :D

SHAD0W93 said:
Tonton said:

Should have drank the whole bottle for luck. :D
Well, the wife had a say :) . We do Mother's Day tonight as I'm working tomorrow, trying to follow the stage live. Then YouTube to see how it went...it sucks...