• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2019 rumours

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

barmaher said:
I really don't like the first week, but the negativity on here about EVERY FREAKING GT ROUTE is really starting to bother me. Sure, stage 19 is not ideal, but in the context of the last 10 stages, and in the context of recent GT routes, let's settle down a little bit.
It's basically always the same person overreacting tho.

Very annoying imo.

Re: Re:

Sestriere said:
Valv.Piti said:
Sestriere said:
Red Rick said:
The entire 3rd week hangs on Passo Manghen to be a viable place to attack and I'm really, really unsure if it's possible.
Your pessimism reaches new levels if you really think there won't be attacks on Mortirolo.
Dont think that's what he meant tho.
Mortirolo is in week three and I think it will be a great stage. I think this is adressing Red Rick's "concern" that the 3rd week might be bad unless someone attacks on Manghen. If this isn't the point feel free to help me out.
Yeah I mean the Giro might as well be locked up after the Mortirolo if gaps are moderately big, unless something happens on Passo Manghen.

It's a bit like the 2011 Vuelta where Cobo and Froome were at 8s from each other the entire 3rd week but there weren't any GC stages to do anything anymore. Now this isn't anywhere near as bad, but still.

Valv.Piti said:
BlackWhiteEagle said:
Valv.Piti said:
Overall I think its a pretty decent route. Ponte di Legno is the hardest stage since...?
Since Purito decided to design a 2015 Vuelta stage i think.
This one is definitely harder IMO. True queen stage. :cool:
Bit different though. This one is a slow burner to an enormous bottleneck point whereas the Andorra stages were basically unrelenting pressure throughout the stage.

But I agree this one is harder.

One thing, is it a partially different descent of the Mortirolo?

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
BlackWhiteEagle said:
Valv.Piti said:
Overall I think its a pretty decent route. Ponte di Legno is the hardest stage since...?
Bit different though. This one is a slow burner to an enormous bottleneck point whereas the Andorra stages were basically unrelenting pressure throughout the stage.

But I agree this one is harder.

One thing, is it a partially different descent of the Mortirolo?
It's the same, but it's shorter than usual because once they arrive in Monno they turn north instead of continuing the descent towards Edolo.

I wonder if this is just a temporary stage profile design, because damn it is ugly

stage-15-profile.jpg

stage-15-profile.jpg

Re:

MatParker117 said:
Apparently Sagan might ride, easy jersey if he does

If he goes, and Valverde does too, that would just be incredible. My two favourites in my favourite race.

Actually, it's funny why that should make me so happy, since they just did ride two Grand Tours together. But Sagan riding the Giro is long overdue, especially given his early years on Liquigas. It was a pity he didn't already ride in 2011.

ice&fire said:
Red Rick said:
Okay. It does make the run in to Ponte di Legno a bit shorter and more importantly flatter than the usual grind to Aprica.
It's an obvious conspiracy to keep gaps at a minimum so that everything is decided in the final stages :p
Yes, very much so.

I mean on it's own you might overlook it, but then add them not going all the way to the top of the Nivolet and not climbing Muro di Sormano and there's a suspicious pattern there.

Libertine Seguros said:
Valv.Piti said:
BlackWhiteEagle said:
Valv.Piti said:
Was 2017's Bormio stage really that much easier?
No, I don't think so, but it was a weak ass Mortirolo and still Stelvio from its more human side. They are probably equally hard if you are just looking to get through the stage, but such a stage as this will most definitely create bigger gaps. This Gavia-side is equal to easy Stelvio in 2017, maybe harder? Dunno. But the first couple of climbs makes it overall harder IMO, this is really a brute, as was the Bormio-stage you are referring to tho.

Red Rick said:
"What a waste of the Stelvio and the Mortirolo"

~Red Rick, 1993
Lmao.