• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 11: Porto S.Elpidio – Rimini 182 km

Before any evil thoughts about cancellations creep into our brains we must continue with the next stage:

Stage 11: Porto S.Elpidio – Rimini 182 km
Wednesday, October 14th, 12:05 CEST

ALT_1280X852_TAPPA-11.jpg

PLAN_852x852_2020_TAPPA-11.jpg

Technical Overview:
The only chance for a bunch sprint of the second week. The first 105 km of this stage are pan flat along the Adriatic coast, from the starting town of Porto S.Elpidio (famous between cycling fans for the awesome 2013 Tirreno stage) to the first intermediate sprint of Pesaro, where the first and only categorized climb of the day starts. Monte S.Bartolo (GPM4, 3.9 km at 4.1%) will provide some stunning scenery but nothing more. After it, the route goes inland for a section of rolling terrain, including the second intermediate sprint of Coriano, before heading back to the coast, finishing in Rimini. The last km are quite tricky, featuring a long series of turns, so forming trains won’t be easy, but the bunch sprint should be unavoidable.

ARRIVI_1280X852_TAPPA-11.jpg

The Climbs:
Monte S.Bartolo: GPM4, 3.9 km at 4.1%

Some good slopes with stunning views. No profile.

What to expect:
As I said, bunch sprint. The finale might be dangerous, so the riders will have to pay attention.
Rimini_Emilia-Romagna_Italien-1200x700.jpg

Rimini

Reactions: JosefK
Sagan won't win tomorrow after today's effort but he'll be still up there in the top 10 if the whole peloton finishes together... Demare might take this one again, unless Gaviria or Vendrame get lucky...
i wouldn't rule out sagan yet, demare have done his efforts today too, both in the chasing before the intermediate sprint and the last 50kms must have hurt him too. Same for gaviria and viviani. They seemed to have especially bad climbing shape in previous stages. And the big stone that has fallen out of Sagan's head, he may very well be flying tomorrow.

i wouldn't rule out sagan yet, demare have done his efforts today too, both in the chasing before the intermediate sprint and the last 50kms must have hurt him too. Same for gaviria and viviani. They seemed to have especially bad climbing shape in previous stages. And the big stone that has fallen out of Sagan's head, he may very well be flying tomorrow.
You might be right. A few years ago (just before he had got his first rainbow jersey) we had been whitnessing that his recovery is out of this word.
If I am Demare I would start to worry a little bit.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I only hope so... Fingers crossed for Sagan;)

Reactions: Sandisfan
So many spoilt babies on this forum. GTs used to have loads of flat, sprint stages but if organisers dare to give the sprinters the odd chance to shine loads of people burst into tears on here because there isn’t a 36% wall in the final km.

lol I like sprints. I’m nearly the only person who frequently comments in all the top sprinters’ rider threads! I just don’t want another one tomorrow. And other than Demare, who has been excellent, the sprinting here so far has been very poor anyway.

TRENDING THREADS