• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 13: Cervia – Monselice 192 km

Stage 13: Cervia – Monselice 192 km
Friday, October 16th, 11:40 CEST

ALT_1280X852_TAPPA-13.jpg

PLAN_852x852_2020_TAPPA-13.jpg

Technical Overview:
A stage that might provide some surprises, with a very tricky finale. From Cervia the peloton will cross the Po Valley for 155 km, the only points of interest being the two intermediate sprints of Rovigo and Galzignano Terme, before entering the Colli Euganei area, where the fun begins. At 34 km to go the first climb of the day starts. Il Roccolo (GPM4, 4.1 km at 8.3%) is a serious climb, with a very steep ramp at 20% near the beginning and a final km at over 11% average (the official profile marks 13.4%, but it’s a typo… it’s 11.4% instead). Its top is at 30 km to go, and after a pretty fast descent the peloton will only face 4 km of flat before entering the second and last climb of the day, Calaone (GPM4, 2.1 km at 9.5%). This climb is much shorter than the previous one, but just as tough. The descent is very fast and on wide roads, and brings to the town of Este, from which only 12 km remain to reach Monselice, all on flat roads.

UKM_1280X852_TAPPA-13.jpg

The Climbs:
Il Roccolo: GPM4, 4.1 km at 8.3%

A very steep short climb that will almost surely force a selection. As mentioned above, the last stretch marked at 13.4% is actually “only” 11.4%.
K07r07b.png

Calaone: GPM4, 2.1 km at 9.5%
Shorter than the previous climb but overall steeper and more regular.
NWouSTX.png

What to expect:
This stage is perfect for an attacker. The two climbs might even be hard enough for GC to try an attack if they really want so, but I don’t believe that will happen, considering the 12 km of flat at the end and tomorrow’s stage.

Reactions: JosefK
Ideal for Sagan is 2kms at 7% or 4kms at 5.5%. These gradients are really pushing it for him, especially back-to-back. However, with no elite puncheur in peak form in the peloton and a pan-flat run in I suppose he's still the favorite.

I won't be selecting Sagan in my pool. As was the case with today's stage I believe his climbing abilities are overestimated. Therefore, despite being the likely favorite the odds won't justify a selection.

Last edited:
But without Matthews nobody will help Bora. With one man down and two in the GC I am quite sceptical. This goes to break or late attacker.
I could see your point but this is the most hilariously flat stage anyone could imagine (until it's not flat), meaning it will be pretty easy to control the front; and unless the whole peloton believes tomorrow will be the last day, that would suggest a small group getting away, which Bora can easily keep close. And then Sagan can just attack if that's what he wants. GFDJ will be out of sorts after the first climb and only Frankiny can be anywhere close on the second climb, which means they can't have any influence on the stage.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Keram
I could see your point but this is the most hilariously flat stage anyone could imagine (until it's not flat), meaning it will be pretty easy to control the front; and unless the whole peloton believes tomorrow will be the last day, that would suggest a small group getting away, which Bora can easily keep close. And then Sagan can just attack if that's what he wants. GFDJ will be out of sorts after the first climb and only Frankiny can be anywhere close on the second climb, which means they can't have any influence on the stage.

I think Sagan will hang for dear life rather than attacking. Pretty tough climbs for Sagan standards.

I think Sagan will hang for dear life rather than attacking. Pretty tough climbs for Sagan standards.

Yeah, I think that's his plan as well.

I just think he can do more with stage 10 in mind. I wouldn't have thought he could show such an impressive level in this race. But now he is my biggest favourite for tomorrow.

Especially considering FDJ will die so easily, and then nobody will really have any interest in chasing him back if he indeed were to break away on the final climb (which would be difficult for him, of course).

Reactions: Sandisfan and Keram
At first, it looked like a shorter MSR until you look at the gradients: yikes! Two climbs back to back, longer and/or steeper than Malhao. It's a bit too steep for Sagan IMO, unless the pace is very conservative, which is highly doubtful, considering that we can expect a GC top-10 rider in difficulty like we see every day. If so, other GC teams will push the pace and I can't see how Sagan can follow.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS