• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, Stage 17: Bassano del Grappa – Madonna di Campiglio 203 km

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That's a bit unfair, IMO.

I wouldn't necessarily call the 2019 Giro "crap," maybe not a race for the ages...

But this Giro is looking comparatively weak because Thomas, SK, Yates and Evenpoel aren't in the race anymore, or didn't start, for health reasons; all the top GT riders aimed for the Tour; and already two full teams have pulled out, again for health reasons.

Putting a positive spin, we're seeing riders like Almeida, Ganna, Hart and Hindley step up, and teams like Sunweb and DQS showing that they are legit GT support teams.

This would have been a very different race in a "normal" year -- can you imagine Carapaz, Evenepoel, Nibali and Yates (and maybe Kruijswijk) slugging it out in May in the third week with these great stage profiles, along with one or two other emerging contenders?
Still and I admit it’s unfair to compare anyone to froomes and Contador attacks but yeah Quintana in 2013-15 would slaughter these fields or Andy 2010 kind of feel sorry for them thats all

Giro, Giro, Giro. The beloved race of this forum. They are learning the riders make the race once again. Regardless of the parcours. We have seen this so many times. However we always, hear excuses of this and that.

Ok. Finally the Stelvio is here. Someone has to crack, I hope.

I don't know why everybody is so disappointed but for me this was the most likely outcome. I thought either nobody would do anything or Sunweb would try to pace the last climb a bit harder. The only unexpected bit was Kelderman closing on Hindley LOL.

Maybe somebody thought we would see some rider go on Bondone but let's be honest, there was almost 0 chance for that to happen.

On the other hand I'm confident tomorrow will be a different story, especially now that stage 20 is in doubt (although no mention of it on Italian TV that I am aware of).

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Another race?

Please. Keldermann, Birdsong, Pozzo, Majka and Nibali are quality riders, aren't they? Or I might have missed something in the sport?
They are following the wheel of an average dom. I know some of them are not that young anymore but come on. Keldermann counter attacked Hindley. I'm just saying this is a very very sad show.
If you were saying it was a disappointing show by the GC guys, i agree.
If you were saying it was not credible that Masnada was leading that group considering the circumstances, i don't agree.

Reactions: Krokro
I don't know why everybody is so disappointed but for me this was the most likely outcome. I thought either nobody would do anything or Sunweb would try to pace the last climb a bit harder. The only unexpected bit was Kelderman closing on Hindley LOL.

I don't get it as well. It's not a climb to go for the Maglia Rosa. Of course, you could, if you are Pantani in 1999. But he would have put a minute into everyone on VAM Berg that year. Tomorrow is the time and saturday as well.

If you were saying it was a disappointing show by the GC guys, i agree.
If you were saying it was not credible that Masnada was leading that group considering the circumstances, i don't agree.
Let's say we can agree then haha. Just saying that even if Masnada became a really strong rider, that I don't specially dislike tbf, he's not a top notch mountain goat like Kuss, Kuss or Kuss. But still, the worst part is the inaction of the GC competitors. Good example of how it's stupid, we just saw that Agnello has been cancelled already. Hope Almeida wins it now, like someone said in the thread already!

TRENDING THREADS