• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 18: Pinzolo - Laghi di Cancano 207 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In whose bag is the queen stage of this Giro

• Vincenzo Nibali

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • Antonio Nibali

Votes: 47 71.2%

• Total voters
I remember in 2016 when things were looking really bad for Nibali I jokingly predicted him to make a huge comeback after an attack on the Agnello and well we know how that turned out.

On another note, I totally jokingly predict Nibali to make a huge comeback after an attack on the Stelvio.
I wish it were 2016.
I jokingly predicted Murray would get to #1 (his brother Jamie was super close in the doubles ranking), then *** went down.

Astana should light this up, but the marriages aren't working out, and I don't think Fulgsang has a prenup.

His husbands can't wait to get their hands on half of his sweet Monegasque bird cage in a divorce, so they won't help him.

So it's not in the blog.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
After today's borefest and the cancellation of that meraviglia that was stage 20, either I see someone going YOLO already from Campo Carlo Magno, or I will be disappointed.

Jokes aside - and knowing it won't happen - any team not named Quickstep should drill it from Pinzolo (km 0) and never look back. Of course individual attacks are impossible with the valley before the Stelvio, but the harder the race, the better the chances to crack the maglia rosa. Castrin in particular should not be wasted as the first climbs were today.
But again, this being Giro 2012 or Tour-any-year, it won't happen.

As mentioned a above hopefully Hindley is let off the leash. Nibali is like the new Vino a few hoping for an attack but I am not convinced he has it in him any more. Kelderman doesn't seem strong enough to drop Almeida.

But really we all know its the weather that is the biggest problem, plus I will also feel cheated if the organizers cut short the stage due to Covid-19. They have known the route for months and nobody can tell me it isn't possible for the organizers and police to control crowds not practicing social distancing and / or mask wearing.

Jokes aside - and knowing it won't happen - any team not named Quickstep should drill it from Pinzolo (km 0) and never look back. Of course individual attacks are impossible with the valley before the Stelvio, but the harder the race, the better the chances to crack the maglia rosa.
Trek should tell their doms that the finish line is at Gomagoi. From there it's 18 km to the top, Lo Squalo can do that.

If Sunweb wants to play it smart tomorrow, here is my free advice:

Let Hindley off the leash on Stelvio, let him attack, and keep Kelderman to shadow Almeida... I don't see anybody from DQS domestiques to keep up with him and Almeida won't close him down himself as he showed today (he prefers to "scream" at Masnada to do it for him or let Kelderman to do it... What a stoopid move).

Either Hindley's gonna take 3-4 minutes, if he is as good as everybody is saying, or Kelderman gets lucky and somehow steals 10-20 seconds from Almeida on Torri di Fraele climb (don't see it happening, too short) Even if not, at least, they'll wreck the DQS support team and hopefully isolate Almeida after Stelvio... Otherwise, Sunweb is just riding for 2nd and 3rd and even that might not work out... I think any smart team would take a top podium spot rather than 2 spots below.

And, if nothing works out, at least you know, you didn't have it to beat Almeida... But you gotta try to find out.

Reactions: JosefK
After today's borefest and the cancellation of that meraviglia that was stage 20, either I see someone going YOLO already from Campo Carlo Magno, or I will be disappointed.

Jokes aside - and knowing it won't happen - any team not named Quickstep should drill it from Pinzolo (km 0) and never look back. Of course individual attacks are impossible with the valley before the Stelvio, but the harder the race, the better the chances to crack the maglia rosa. Castrin in particular should not be wasted as the first climbs were today.
But again, this being Giro 2012 or Tour-any-year, it won't happen.
Agreed but my objection for Madonna di Campiglio still stands: who's gonna make it hard? Trek & Astana don't have the manpower. DQS could but obviously will try to make it as easy as possible. Sunweb prefers to wait as they don't need to take that much time (although a hard pace might benefit them more, plus if they drop both Almeida and Kelderman Hindley could get it). Pozzo seems more concerned about defending his top ten than anything.

Only chance is to blow up the race as early as possible. It takes both legs and balls to do that, let's see if someone steps up.

Let Hindley off the leash on Stelvio, let him attack, and keep Kelderman to shadow Almeida... I don't see anybody from DQS domestiques to keep up with him and Almeida won't close him down himself as he showed today (he prefers to "scream" at Masnada to do it for him or let Kelderman to do it... What a stoopid move).
What if Tao and Nibali goes with Hindley, does Sunweb dare to take that risk?

If Sunweb or anyone else wants to crack Almeida and win the Giro, tomorrow is the day. Can't rely on the butchered mountain stage and even less on the time trial. Tomorrow is 100% going to be fireworks. Pity I have to work from home and make calls, while I was free today to watch the snoozefest.

Sunweb is going to go for it and others too. He's going to be attacked from all corners and he better be ready for it. If Almeida is still in pink tomorrow, he's earned it. He already earned my respect, great fighter.

Reactions: richwallone
Agreed but my objection for Madonna di Campiglio still stands: who's gonna make it hard? Trek & Astana don't have the manpower. DQS could but obviously will try to make it as easy as possible. Sunweb prefers to wait as they don't need to take that much time (although a hard pace might benefit them more, plus if they drop both Almeida and Kelderman Hindley could get it). Pozzo seems more concerned about defending his top ten than anything.

Only chance is to blow up the race as early as possible. It takes both legs and balls to do that, let's see if someone steps up.
Don't kill my dreams with reality, though!

I know. But even Antonio or Mosca or Felline pushing it on the first two climbs is better than a soft pace by Quickstep.

And Sunweb: I agree that they will probably prefer to play it safe, and perhaps that's the smart move.

I though the stoopid move was Kelderman bridging to Hindley so early. Let the others chase your teammate. He's a threat to them, not you. By moving, Kelderman basically brought Almeida back up to Hindley and neutralised his own team's attack.

TRENDING THREADS