• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 19: Morbegno › Asti (258k)

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
But if even the likes of us don't watch it, why would they bdoadcast it? And if advertisers are not willing to support full length transmissions because of our response to days like this, will they appreciate the nuances of the sport enough to show full length of stages like yesterday?
Because sport isn't entirely a commercial product, it's also sport. While television has been wonderful for sport in many ways, making it more accessible to watch, there's always a balance between adapting the sport for TV and keeping traditional elements even if they aren't particularly broadcast friendly.

In any case cycling is hardly alone in having stuff that only hardcore fanatics watch. How many people watch before the final round of a major golf tournament? Does that mean the Open should just be a one round shootout?

Wilco was part of a wonderful workshop, live from Stelvio which explained "how to not put on a jacket" together with new mate Jai. Must've been hot as hell yesterday.

Pure comedy gold, especially Hindley on the Stelvio, almost doing a Kruijswijk in the process. Cycling is all about the details, as Michael Rasmussen will tell you.
This jacket might end up costing them the Giro win.

That's pure Kelderman too, our Dutch anti-hero. Wins the maglia rosa after eight years of pain and promptly gets insulted by the Giro director...

The man can't get a break. Can't put his wind jacket on properly. No charisma to speak of. Almost gets scammed on the finish line by Hart today. He even can't win the maglia rosa in a glorious manner, but on a day when he's maybe the GC loser of the day. And I'm not even talking about our last Dutch Giro winner who specializes in taking time off and crap by the roadside and still goes on to win the damn thing.

All this really endears Wilco Kelderman to me... go Wilco!
Poor Wilco, now you make me feel bad for him. At least you guys have the MvdP who is cycling perfection incarnated.

That's pure Kelderman too, our Dutch anti-hero. Wins the maglia rosa after eight years of pain and promptly gets insulted by the Giro director...

The man can't get a break. Can't put his wind jacket on properly. No charisma to speak of. Almost gets scammed on the finish line by Hart today. He even can't win the maglia rosa in a glorious manner, but on a day when he's maybe the GC loser of the day. And I'm not even talking about our last Dutch Giro winner who specializes in taking time off and crap by the roadside and still goes on to win the damn thing.

All this really endears Wilco Kelderman to me... go Wilco!
Nah. He's literally the most boring rider I can think of, and yesterday's antics to the team car and today do him no favors

Because sport isn't entirely a commercial product, it's also sport. While television has been wonderful for sport in many ways, making it more accessible to watch, there's always a balance between adapting the sport for TV and keeping traditional elements even if they aren't particularly broadcast friendly.

In any case cycling is hardly alone in having stuff that only hardcore fanatics watch. How many people watch before the final round of a major golf tournament? Does that mean the Open should just be a one round shootout?

The Open should be one round of a crazy golf course with a fifteen minute time limit as should every other golf event.

The weather, at about 12°, was so bad their immune system cannot deal with it coming from the race leader -
I mean, what did they think the weather would be like in October? Yesterday evening they saw the forecast and were like "oh my god, there's rain. how can that be"?
That's actually hilarious and disgraceful.
Like I said before I'm all for health and unlike others certainly don't want every race to happen in strong rain and storms, but sometimes it happens. It was to be expected, it's a stage race, and these, although I was not there, did not look like unbearable conditions.
No, this does not look great on the riders, especially since the stage tomorrow has already been made easier and the end of the whole season, which was lucky to happen, is very near. Guys.

Of course.

Martin/Rowe - Stage 1 thread of the tour, acting like hall monitors and neutralising the stage in parts, mobbing the front of the race etc, implied they had discussed a neutralisation the night before in their whatsapp group, then got enraged when astana attacked them vino style on a descent.

Sepp Kuss - Gave a controversial interview after the infamously soft pedalled stage 6 of the tour, which sat incredibly poorly with some of the posters on here, read the thread, pretty funny stuff.

Alaphilippe - Celebrating too early in LBL then doing exactly the same the race after. Generally exhibiting Voeckler-esque behaviour spanning several races, screwed up a breakaway he was in on the eze stage of the tour to go for the combativity award. Great riding a lot of the season by him though definitely.

Masnada - Threw a fit yesterday because he had to domestique for his teammate in pink on the Stelvio, then proceeded to climb much of the last climb 10 metres behind the group on his own.

Hansen - Blamed primarily for todays antics - the ringleader if you will.

I should add I've nothing personally against the people involved, just a bit of a laugh.

Lovely. Thanks. Yep, that is exactly the behavior that grinds my gears

Reactions: TomLPC
OK, so just did a Fast-Forward of today's stage.
Except for the Bora vs. break part and the courageous Černý's punch it was indeed very underwhelming, cutting half the distance of a good tough cold rainy day flat stage.

A 260K exhausting stage (exhausting even with breakaway and peleton +30 min ceasefire) before a tough Agnello-Izoard-Montgenevre Sestriere stage could really have shaken the GC up, making it a grand finale.
But now with today's rider agreement of 'too hard stage' and with tomorrows castrated stage it looks like ....the gasp of dissapointment from the Tour 2019 final stages.
.... I wonder what Angelo Zomegnan's mind goes through?

This feels like a really weird day with the riders' agreement.
I just hope this doesn't sets precedents for the future in a sport which as per definition is a hardman sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: gregrowlerson
Adam Hansen on twitter "Everyone raced to their maximum" . Hmmm well to me it looked like only the break (and for a while BORA) wanted to race. The rest wanted an easy day.
How stupid does this guy think we are?

Please explain how a breakaway extends it lead to 12 minutes if everyone in the peloton rides to his maximum.

TRENDING THREADS