• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, Stage 5: Mileto – Camigliatello Silano 225 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Could be mayhem. I dont see any team to control. There should be huge break. Will be Sagan in it to pull his trademark Tour breakaway in the hills, medium mountains? By the way I still dont understand Giro intermediates ( shame on me). First is for points and second for seconds only? It is every time in that order?
If Sagan can get in break how will he survive the climb? Unless his primary goal is to collect points, not contest stage.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Yes exactly. At the TDFs he was zilion times in such break only for points not for the stage.
now (contary to until two years ago) the points system is different though, with only 12 points available at the intermediate sprint in this Giro. The day after there's the chance to get 50 at the finish.

At the moment, it makes more sense to basically disregard the intermediate sprints. I mean, Gaviria for example went for it today and took 5 points, but left the (50pt) finish empty handed.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Keram
There will be a break, the kind of stage that TDG would target. In a TdF, that final climb would be crap like Mont Aigoual was. But there's no dominant team to dictate the pace and kill the race. It will be that, a dud, or a slugfest. I agree that Wilco has to capitalize on his form, that Yates needs to be buried, so there are incentives for not justIl Squalo but others to position themselves.

I'd like Nibali in pink, with Birdsong, Wilco, Crushweak not too far....separate the whey from the chaff and get a clearer picture. But do the DS want this so early in the Giro, when they know that they can't control the race? After all, winning Il Giro recently has often been about flying under the radar and strike late.

Reactions: Sandisfan
There will be a break, the kind of stage that TDG would target. In a TdF, that final climb would be crap like Mont Aigoual was. But there's no dominant team to dictate the pace and kill the race. It will be that, a dud, or a slugfest. I agree that Wilco has to capitalize on his form, that Yates needs to be buried, so there are incentives for not justIl Squalo but others to position themselves.

I'd like Nibali in pink, with Birdsong, Wilco, Crushweak not too far....separate the whey from the chaff and get a clearer picture. But do the DS want this so early in the Giro, when they know that they can't control the race? After all, winning Il Giro recently has often been about flying under the radar and strike late.

But we have ducks now.

Ducks can fly over the radar.

Downhill finish can favour Nibali but we have already seen a few favorites out of the race... So I bet on Birdsong to grab a pink jersey today. And one of the main contenders having a bad day, maybe Kelderman.

now (contary to until two years ago) the points system is different though, with only 12 points available at the intermediate sprint in this Giro. The day after there's the chance to get 50 at the finish.

At the moment, it makes more sense to basically disregard the intermediate sprints. I mean, Gaviria for example went for it today and took 5 points, but left the (50pt) finish empty handed.

Well, if you get in the break there are good points to get. Sprinting in the peloton for the leftovers is a bit unnecessary.

Why would Almeida lose pink here? It's a gradual climb, and he's a good TTer, so that should suit him. Moreover, I guess he's not too bad of a bike handler, seeing how well he did in the opening TT, so I don't think he'll get distanced in the downhill section.

Impossible to predict such a brutal stage. 4600 meters of climbing. If your legs not there today you're lost, 25km of climbing after riding 190km up and down terrain.
But anyway - the break to win and GC action with some 5km to go of the last long climb.

Last edited:
Will this stage be broadcasted live from the start? It could turn out as one of the best stages to watch from the beginning, expecting a huge fight to get in this break. A massive break and mayhem from the gun is a definite possibility.