• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 7: Matera - Brindisi 143 km

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I disagree. Ballerini delivered the perfect leadout. Hodeg just didn't (probably couldn't) follow his wheel. If that was Jakobsen or Bennett in the wheel of Ballerini it would have been an easy victory or at least a fair fight with Démare and we would be praising Ballerini for that leadout (he still finished 7th himself).

Yes they didn't have more riders left in the sprint train because they used them up to keep Almeida in pink out of harms way and they don't exactly have their best sprint train here but still Ballerini did a perfect job.

The look on Ballerini's face at the finish said just that.
Also I think it was Ballerini who had to make an effort in the run in to Brindisi to go back and guide Almeida up to the front as the Maglia rosa had been bustled way down the peloton. Ballerini's been a good signing.

The look on Ballerini's face at the finish said just that.
Also I think it was Ballerini who had to make an effort in the run in to Brindisi to go back and guide Almeida up to the front as the Maglia rosa had been bustled way down the peloton. Ballerini's been a good signing.

I agree. I like Hodeg. He just hasn’t developed as much as expected at least as of yet and at the moment he seems below his own usual level. I’m surprised DQS have given him so much leeway. I’m quite glad that they have, but I’m still surprised.

I’m guessing they sign another sprinter before next season.

Dubious sprinting from Demare that was only not particularly dangerous because he and Sagan were so far clear of the rest of the field that nobody else was in a position to be effective.

IMO Sagan would have gone more for the barrier line if not for the recent DSQ in the Tour being in his mind.

If we are sanctioning by actions not outcome then Demare should have been relegated.

Giro always had boring sprint stages!!! Giro is about epic mountain stages, at least after the Cipollini and Pettacchi eras;)
What? The Italians designed the Giro to favor Italian riders? I thought that only the French did that. So I guess we'll have the PdBF in '21 :).

Having said that, some are quick crying "foul". Demare was by far the strongest. Sagan was like Hushovd a few years back, kinda making it close when Cav' was dominant, but not having the goodies to even try to pass. Conclusion: not even close.

TRENDING THREADS