• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 8: Giovinazzo - Vieste, 200 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Is it just me or are people under estimating the difficulty of the Mur? The mur de huy is 1.3km at 9.3% this is 1km at 9.3%. With 10kms of mainly false flat after the climb I think a puncheur can make a play for it. Demure will be in the mix only if the climb is soft-pedaled.
Nobody attacks and makes it to the finish off the 2nd-last time up Huy.

If a team is willing to commit to making the day hard from the Sant Angelo on, they could make some gaps appear, and snap the elastic on the final climb. But there is no Alaphilippe or Hirschi in this race right now, or a Sunweb-from-the-Tour team who are committed to leveraging a guy off the front.

If it comes down to the break (which is likely, because nobody in their right mind will work with FDJ right now), the climb will decide the race, but if the peloton come to the foot together, then the climb isn't long enough for one rider to put enough of a gap into the bunch to stay away.

Is it just me or are people under estimating the difficulty of the Mur? The mur de huy is 1.3km at 9.3% this is 1km at 9.3%. With 10kms of mainly false flat after the climb I think a puncheur can make a play for it. Demure will be in the mix only if the climb is soft-pedaled.
The problem is, any team pushing hard there, has to make sure they still have enough riders to also ride the next 10 km flat out. This will only work if more than one team commits.

Nobody attacks and makes it to the finish off the 2nd-last time up Huy.

If a team is willing to commit to making the day hard from the Sant Angelo on, they could make some gaps appear, and snap the elastic on the final climb. But there is no Alaphilippe or Hirschi in this race right now, or a Sunweb-from-the-Tour team who are committed to leveraging a guy off the front.

If it comes down to the break (which is likely, because nobody in their right mind will work with FDJ right now), the climb will decide the race, but if the peloton come to the foot together, then the climb isn't long enough for one rider to put enough of a gap into the bunch to stay away.
I agree no one staying away if they hit the base of the climb together. You can shatter the peloton and have the favorites go mano-a-mano the last 10KMs. If there's a sprint train at the culmination of this stage it will be a serious disappointment.

Riding harder than softpedaling on the main climb should do what it ganna do.
Sagan's rocket fired just one second later than in previous attempt (mirror stage 4) should do the job.

Edit: just been tested for alcohol. Me, not Sagan, of course.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS