• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 8: Giovinazzo - Vieste, 200 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
But than you have in the NFL with players testing positive on the same team. Other players with contact with the infected test negative initially and then a couple days later they are positive.
As far as I understand, COVID has a pretty low K number (a measure of evenness in spreading) meaning it spreads primarily through super spreaders and clusters then it could be that Yates is no such superspreader and they got somewhat lucky.

Bad news about Yates, but at least that explains his performances. Any chance he could be doing the Vuelta then? Michelton states that he only has mild symptoms.
Don't know, but I would prioritise the athletes long term health here. Symptoms started only yesterday, so only mild symptoms being the worst if it is not guaranteed. He probably won't be able to do any training for the next week, etc so even if he starts the Vuelta, he'll have a rough time starting it in top form and the queen stage is like stage 6 or something.

Best case scenario is he rides the Vuelta for stage wins IMO.

Bad news about Yates, but at least that explains his performances. Any chance he could be doing the Vuelta then? Michelton states that he only has mild symptoms.

I'd be a bit worried for anyone who actually is clearly symptomatic given how lean cyclists are and how deep they push themselves. Obviously a lot more healthy than any of the general population but there's lots of data about people suffering for a long time after catching it. Footballers like Gundogan were completely bedridden by it despite being otherwise very healthy too. Not sure if Yates is also asthmatic or whether he's just cycling asthmatic but that would be a concern with anything like this too I guess.

I'm sure they've got far more data than anyone else though so if they think he's healthy enough they can make a decision.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS