• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020, stage 9: San Salvo – Roccaraso 208 km

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'll still keep typing how much I love it when a break/aggressive riding from a break nets a win, but I'm starting to wonder if this is the new normal. It seems that it has happened more this year than ever, but then again nothing about this year is really normal. If it does become the formula, I like it better than the old.

I'll still keep typing how much I love it when a break/aggressive riding from a break nets a win, but I'm starting to wonder if this is the new normal. It seems that it has happened more this year than ever, but then again nothing about this year is really normal. If it does become the formula, I like it better than the old.
no team is gonna work to get back the break, trek tried today and failed miserably, they wont try it again. just be prepared for all mountain stages to go to breaks.

Reactions: jmdirt
I definitely would have found that more likely than Kelderman winning the Giro though. That's more in line with the crazy people who had Roglic as their Tour favorite.

Well Roglic had a first and third in his previous two grand tours. Most people thought it was he and Bernal for Tour favouritism. And Bernal was going into the race with a cloud over his form and health. I didn't pick Pogacar for the podium or Porte. I thought Pogacar's podium in the Vuelta might have been a one off at least in the short term but the Vuelta form held up well in the Tour. Valverde dropped back but no one was picking him in the top five for the Tour.

his last good time trial was in 2017, no worries. He may still do alright of course, but it's far from a given that he will gain any significant time on Nibali and so on

"Last good".

Bit harsh. He has been top 20, at least, in a few since then. It is solid, without being great.

In 2017 he probably made one of his best time trials that he has done. Probably on some of the best form he has had in is career with ending up 4th on GC in Vuelta. Is it his normal level? The exception? The result of someone being in good form at the end of a hard race?

What he has shown after the break this year has been pretty good. He seems to be in great shape. Better than Nibali and some of the others right now, but that can change.

"Last good".

Bit harsh. He has been top 20, at least, in a few since then. It is solid, without being great.

In 2017 he probably made one of his best time trials that he has done. Probably on some of the best form he has had in is career with ending up 4th on GC in Vuelta. Is it his normal level? The exception? The result of someone being in good form at the end of a hard race?

What he has shown after the break this year has been pretty good. He seems to be in great shape. Better than Nibali and some of the others right now, but that can change.

People saying Kelderman last great TT was in 2017 is true but they also apparently don't remember that after that he never has been in great form due to injuries and bad luck.
This giro he looks to have at the bare minimum the same form as that Vuelta 2017. So it's safe to expect a good ITT @search

People saying Kelderman last great TT was in 2017 is true but they also apparently don't remember that after that he never has been in great form due to injuries and bad luck.
This giro he looks to have at the bare minimum the same form as that Vuelta 2017. So it's safe to expect a good ITT @search
I'm not sure, in the 2018 Tour de Suisse for example he was in good shape, 3rd in GC, but lost 2 positions due to a 27th place in the ITT. I just don't think his time trialing is as good as it was anymore.

TRENDING THREADS