• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Androni have made public their selection. No room for Miguel Eduardo Flórez who - in Argentina - proved to be a much better rider than Remco (;)).

He has really not found that level since the break.
He was flying at the beginning of the year. The break slowed down some of the riders but we have seen that some of them are coming back to form. The biggest example was Lopez. I really don't understand why they don't take Florez.

Ineos for the Giro:

Thomas
Ganna
Dennis
Castroviejo
Geoghegan Hart
Puccio
Narváez
Swift

I think they might lead the teams' classification after stage 1...

But they will probably not be able to provide Thomas with much of a train in the mountains.

Ganna, Dennis, Thomas... No need of mountain train, they will crush rivals on flat stages* in a good old-fashioned style!

*TTT like breakaway

Last edited:
Yeah, the Ineos team looks a bit weak on the climbing side, probably only good for the dynamics of the race, not a lot of climbing superdoms. I guess Astana and Michelton-Scott could have the strongest teams in the mountains.
Yeah, the Bardiani team is really weak, I've only heard about 5 of the riders and I actually follow the Italian u23 scene.

Yeah, the Ineos team looks a bit weak on the climbing side, probably only good for the dynamics of the race, not a lot of climbing superdoms. I guess Astana and Michelton-Scott could have the strongest teams in the mountains.
Yeah, the Bardiani team is really weak, I've only heard about 5 of the riders and I actually follow the Italian u23 scene.
From what I've noticed from the route that riders like Yates and Lopez are gonna have to push right from the first mountains because the route is in clear favor for riders like Thomas. That doesn't make it bad thing. More like the other way around.

From what I've noticed from the route that riders like Yates and Lopez are gonna have to push right from the first mountains because the route is in clear favor for riders like Thomas. That doesn't make it bad thing. More like the other way around.
I doubt that Lopez is really here to ride for the gc, he's here to support Fuglsang and Vlasov.
Astana did the same with Aru, they send him to the Vuelta after the Tour when he was leaving and already fading at the end of the Tour. Now unlike Aru MAL actually came to the Tour a bit undercooked, so he should do a lot better, but still.

I doubt that Lopez is really here to ride for the gc, he's here to support Fuglsang and Vlasov.
Astana did the same with Aru, they send him to the Vuelta after the Tour when he was leaving and already fading at the end of the Tour. Now unlike Aru MAL actually came to the Tour a bit undercooked, so he should do a lot better, but still.
Yeah I forgot about Fuglsang. He is their captain.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Sagan surely has to pick up a couple stages? Seems like a lot of those uphill finishes were designed with him in mind. Also, not a lot of competition? Viviani, Hodeg, Demare, Gaviria, Matthews...so really on the uphill only Matthews or Demare? I say 3 stages is a possibility.

Reactions: Sandisfan