• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
same for Konrad, and it was always planed like this, so it's not impossible. Some teams were avoiding flights to Sicily though, to be on the safe side, which is probably not an option for them now

Yeah, but you said it yourself; it was planned. Note how Konrad was smart enough to finish in the top-10 - only five seconds behind the front - but not on the podium, giving himself the best time to make it from Belgium to Italy.
Did Astana not realise at first that they needed two replacement riders?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah, but you said it yourself; it was planned. Note how Konrad was smart enough to finish in the top-10 - only five seconds behind the front - but not on the podium, giving himself the best time to make it from Belgium to Italy.
Did Astana not realise at first that they needed two replacement riders?
Konrad is travelling to Italy today, So I finishing on the podium would have been fine ;)

Were there any reports about the reasons for Gregaard's DNS? Maybe he just needed to head home first to get some stuff, while Contreras didn't need to. Somehow they'll manage, I guess

Konrad is travelling to Italy today, So I finishing on the podium would have been fine ;)

Were there any reports about the reasons for Gregaard's DNS? Maybe he just needed to head home first to get some stuff, while Contreras didn't need to. Somehow they'll manage, I guess

Of course it would have been fine for Konrad's travelling plans, if you had finished on the podium ;) (how did it go?)

As for Gregaard; the only thing that was reported - though his messages to the Danish commentators - was that he hadn't started, and was on his way to another race.

Well, i do have him as my favorite for the youth jersey...

Ahead of Vlasov? The bookies have Vlasov 6th favourite for the overall win. We've never seen him race over three weeks though. If Vlasov isn't that good the white jersey might be very interesting to watch - maybe it won't be contested right at the front, but it would be wide open. No Pogacar, no Bernal, no Evenepoel. Lopez is too old now.

Ahead of Vlasov? The bookies have Vlasov 6th favourite for the overall win. We've never seen him race over three weeks though. If Vlasov isn't that good the white jersey might be very interesting to watch - maybe it won't be contested right at the front, but it would be wide open. No Pogacar, no Bernal, no Evenepoel. Lopez is too old now.
Given how well young riders are performing this year I wouldn’t be surprised if Vlasov ends up on the podium.

Thomas is looking to be the top threat. However, many young riders are going to be dangerous. Some are not even the GC riders of their team...but still could be threats. Should be a fun race to watch and I'm sure it will have some surprise top 10 riders.

Thomas is looking to be the top threat. However, many young riders are going to be dangerous. Some are not even the GC riders of their team...but still could be threats. Should be a fun race to watch and I'm sure it will have some surprise top 10 riders.

I think Thomas will at least podium as long as bad luck stays away. Although, Nibali's voodoo might work its way into the race during the third week.

Like Vlasov. Let's keep the young riders streak continue!
Be interesting to watch him in light of the success of the younger guys lately but it's obvious at the moment that the GC riders are having a shake out with the new blood on the scene. The window for Froome and Nibali is getting narrower now and second level riders like Quintana and Pinot are going to find it just as hard to make the podium or even harder when Froome and Nibali etc have retired. They now have to contend with Carapaz, Mas, Martinez, Pogacar, Bernal, Roglic was a late arrival on the scene, and others like Sivakov and , Vlasov will improve, Evenepoel looks like he has the goods to make a GT racer based on his one week form although that doesn't always pan out and there are plenty of other guys not at that level yet but still have potential. In two years time the top five in grand tours will look totally different to now, maybe even in 12 months time. Time is running out for the Lopez, Pinot, Fuglsang, Landa, Stephen K, Bardet, Uran group of riders to stand on the top step.

TRENDING THREADS