• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Race Thread - Enthusiastic Laymen Edition

Who will win the Giro in case neither Yates nor Bernal does?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
vaEA4HydDwG0aktqCGyn_090421-124405.png

This is the general Giro race thread for 2021. I thought it was about time, although more specific threads will surely come. However, you can just join in here with any information or comments.

HP_PERCORSO_1280x640_no-nomi-1.jpg

This is the current startlist:

In my eyes these are the biggest guns for the win:

5 stars: Simon Yates
4 stars: Egan Bernal, Daniel Felipe Martínez
3 stars: Mikel Landa, Pello Bilbao, Aleksandr Vlasov
2 stars: Romain Bardet, Jai Hindley, Dan Martin, Emanuel Buchmann
1 star: Pavel Sivakov, Vincenzo Nibali, Joao Almeida, Hugh Carthy
Outsiders: Remco Evenepoel, Marc Soler, Domenico Pozzovivo, Giulio Ciccone, George Bennett, J.A. Cepeda

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Outsiders: Remco Evenepoel, Marc Soler, Domenico Pozzovivo, Giulio Ciccone, George Bennett, J.A. Cepeda
If by outsiders you mean entertainers, then you are fine.

To be fair, some of the names on that list have less of a chance winning the Giro, than Evenepoel with pneumonia, on one leg, with a broken hip, ran over twice by a truck.

I'm only slightly kidney.

vaEA4HydDwG0aktqCGyn_090421-124405.png

This is the general Giro race thread for 2021. I thought it was about time, although more specific threads will surely come. However, you can just join in here with any information or comments.

HP_PERCORSO_1280x640_no-nomi-1.jpg

This is the current startlist:
I get it. You don't want to appear too eager, and that is a good thing. I can't wait for the real thread to start also.

There is no respect for Landa at all.

The odds most of the time come close, but every now and then the make some goofy mistakes. I think this year they are making one.

Evenepoel is an unknown but it's about winning the race. Even an in-form Landa isn't a good bet for victory (but maybe for top3-top5) and OTOH if Remco gets anywhere close to his best form his chances are really good.

Evenepoel is an unknown but it's about winning the race. Even an in-form Landa isn't a good bet for victory (but maybe for top3-top5) and OTOH if Remco gets anywhere close to his best form his chances are really good.
I really hope that Remco recuperates and gets up to speed very quickly because I want to see him challenging the Slovenians in the near future. And that seems to be like a very good rivalry. But what people are expecting from him here at the Giro is really crazy.

Reactions: JosefK
Well, DQS at least don't bring a sprinter :cry:, instead a very decent GC support team... whether for Almeida or Evenepoel I don't know, but it might depend on the contract situation. If Almeida is supposed to stay it wouldn't be good to damage his chances from the start to support Evenepoel who nobody knows where he's at. But if Almeida is sure to leave it would make sense to go all in for Evenepoel, whatever comes from it. Usually I think it's not clever to take such a stance, better to accept that the rider is now a part of the team. But in this case it could be different, since Evenepoel has the potential to be such a super-star, while Almeida is a possible future great in his own rights.

I am really excited about Buchmann here and hope for the best. Apparently he doesn't need warm up races. His last tt was not too bad and the tt-competition here among the GC guys isn't that strong, so that should not be a big problem. However he will just lack the punch against someone like Yates, so even if he's in good form I don't see a way for him to win, unfortunately. That they bring Sagan plus support does not exactly scream confidence in Buchmann's chances.

Bahrain bring a very strong team, maybe the strongest after Ineos.

Ineos' team is insane and without the Slovenians they might have a chance. However I'm not sure of their chances, neither of the single riders nor whether they will get their tactics with numbers right. Although I really dislike Ineos I like Bernal and Martínez personally and would like to see them win.

Interesting to see what Androni do with their short-term invitation... Cepeda seemed in very good form, but of course I don't see him as a serious contender for the win... but a high placing's maybe possible.

I would like to see a great George Bennett, but I don't think he has a chance against this field and his support is below average.

There's also a good sprinter's bunch here, with the likes of Ewan, Sagan, Nizzolo, (Gaviria) and yes, Groenewegen.

Bernal will win this comfortably, Yates will try but don't have the team to support him. QS have strong team but have no real contender (im not counting Evenepoel as its simply not realistic).
I was hoping Chaves would race this but i don't see any of the races he has planned unfortunately

I really hope that Remco recuperates and gets up to speed very quickly because I want to see him challenging the Slovenians in the near future. And that seems to be like a very good rivalry. But what people are expecting from him here at the Giro is really crazy.
We are living in crazy times. So for Remco to win the Giro would be only fitting.

Personally I can't wait to see him race finally. I'm not making predictions because I wouldn't be surprised if he wins nor if he rides every stage in a grupetto.

TRENDING THREADS