• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Race Thread - Enthusiastic Laymen Edition

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Giro in case neither Yates nor Bernal does?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And to the great surprise of nobody, the one team that still hasn't published their roster is... EF!
They'll probably reveal it when the walk onto the team presentation stage thursday...

Hattori_Hanzo_and_the_Ninjas_-_Suiren_and_Rin_-_20171120.jpg

So Ineos decided not to bring Sosa. He wasn't performing at high level at the Tour of the Alps anyway. Having said that I am not sure what Narvaez will bring to the table additionally to the work that can be done by Puccio, Ganna and Moston. Very strong three. With Sivakov sharing co-leadership they needed another mountain goat. Looking at the altitude these two can be alone with Martinez on their own. No train. Not without Dennis. We'll see how it develops. It is all a question mark anyway.

So Ineos decided not to bring Sosa. He wasn't performing at high level at the Tour of the Alps anyway. Having said that I am not sure what Narvaez will bring to the table additionally to the work that can be done by Puccio, Ganna and Moston. Very strong three. With Sivakov sharing co-leadership they needed another mountain goat. Looking at the altitude these two can be alone with Martinez on their own. No train. Not without Dennis. We'll see how it develops. It is all a question mark anyway.

I'm surprised they put Sivakov in a role as co-leader with Martinez seemingly a super domestique at the start. However i would expect that Ineos is not going to be the team that will do most of the work in the first weeks, unless Bernal or Sivakov are clearly in better shape then the other contenders. Somehow i still think that Martinez might be the surprise package of this year.

Yeah, but he has a well documented history of underperforming during this time of the year because of allergies, so I'm not that confident. I also think that the Tour route suits him more, but he signed with Ineos, what can you do?

I think hè was actually quite good in May during the Tour of California at some point? Other then that i dont remember him racing a lot in May.

Anyway, if hè is strong enough there might still be chances for him, even with Sivakov as the designated co-leader.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Laughable that there is a Bauke Mollema option in the poll but not a Fausto Masnada option.

The podium is between 4 guys, Landa, Yates, Sivakov and Masnada. Maybe Hindley.

Let's be real, the only reason Masnada is supposed to do some work for Joao and Remco is because he's already the clear leader for the Tour (where Ala and Kasper will work their asses off for him) and two GTs as a leader would be too much for him at this point. Might change next year of course.

Castro in top form can climb very well. And I assume Narvaez has been producing strong numbers in training otherwise they wouldn’t have taken him. He’s very talented and will offer much more overall than an inconsistent Sosa.

Castro in top form can climb very well. And I assume Narvaez has been producing strong numbers in training otherwise they wouldn’t have taken him. He’s very talented and will offer much more overall than an inconsistent Sosa.
I'd probably put more faith in Moscon as a good climbing domestique than both Castroviejo and Narvaez at this point. I think they lack one good climber in the team. Although as soon as one of Sivakov or Bernal loses some time and they decide to back only one leader and the other becomes a full time helper, it'll suddenly change my perception probably.

TRENDING THREADS