• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2021 stage 11: Perugia – Montalcino 162 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

???

• Poll?

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • No

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • Bag?

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Rain?

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Button?

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Ban poll

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Delete OP

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Vin(cenz)o

Votes: 24 27.6%

• Total voters
I've looked up where the sprints, bonuses and other ish is and the organizers are trying with this one. Intermediate is in the middle of that 2010 sterrato steep climb 48k before the finish while bonuses are at the start of the 2nd sterrato 27k from the finish. You know, you fight for scraps like today and oppurtunities may naturally occur.

Yes, that's what I thought, too. If someone like Bernal goes and Carthy can't follow anyway, fine, then Bettiol could follow. But he surely won't be allowed to attack and drag other GC contenders with him when Carthy can't follow him. And if they go and Carthy can't follow immediately it's probably Bettiol's task to keep him as close as possible. So unless Carthy cracks or crashes early... I don't see it.
Are we really looking at a freaking sterrato stage where the most talented dirt riders out there will have to babysit the Buchmann and Carthy of this world? Ok yes, it's very likely.
But until then let me dream of this being an epic day of racing.

Every time it rains coverage is lost so I think dry is better or a shower before the race of course.
The discussion I remember before S-B this year was that a light shower—especially right beforehand—makes the racing slightly easier because it tamps down the dust and also temporarily firms up the gravel surface. Cant vouch for whether the latter is valid though. Regardless, these climbs on gravel in any weather is going to cause splits and some decent racing.

Reactions: Sandisfan
A Sagan win would be fun to make up for never having got Strade Bianchi on his palmares and the win today will have simultaneously lifted pressure and increased confidence.

The GC rider I fear most for is Dan Martin and the guys I expect to be aggressive are Bardet and Formolo who are both likely to struggle more in the high mountains and have pedigree in Strade.

A Sagan win would be fun to make up for never having got Strade Bianchi on his palmares and the win today will have simultaneously lifted pressure and increased confidence.

The GC rider I fear most for is Dan Martin and the guys I expect to be aggressive are Bardet and Formolo who are both likely to struggle more in the high mountains and have pedigree in Strade.
Bernal was 3rd in S-B this year. And was with the lead group leaving the final sterrato.

Is everyone forgetting that, or are we differentiating between that and Bardet/Formolo's past 2nd places?

Bardet seems to be in decent form—is there a reason you think he’ll do poorly in the big mountain stages next week? He’s won 3 different high-mountain stages in Le Tour against top-tier climbers, though perhaps one of those was from an early breakaway.

Bernal was 3rd in S-B this year. And was with the lead group leaving the final sterrato.

Is everyone forgetting that, or are we differentiating between that and Bardet/Formolo's past 2nd places?
Not at all. I expect Bernal to be really good on the sterrato but I am not as sure that he will go on the attack like the others mentioned who absolutely have to if they want to get a top final GC result.

While I think Bettiol will absolutely have to stick with Carthy through the stage, it seems somewhat more likely (or wishful thinking on my part) BORA will give Sagan some freedom to go on his own. Both because Sagan’s star power gives the sponsors a big boost when he wins, and because Buchman doesn’t appear to be in top form.

Bardet seems to be in decent form—is there a reason you think he’ll do poorly in the big mountain stages next week? He’s won 3 different high-mountain stages in Le Tour against top-tier climbers, though perhaps one of those was from an early breakaway.
It’s a long time since he climbed with the best consistently while riding GC rather than for KOM/stage wins although he is looking good and I do think he is capable of a good performance in the mountains this year (hope so as I have an each way bet on him).

Reactions: Sciatic
You guys are killing me tonight. Too much realism. I'm overdosing.

22ce7caac25899f77314b2b138de6b7e.png

How was the weather for SB this year? I... can't remember... weirdly enough, of the three editions mentioned, it's the most recent I can't seem to remember in terms of weather.
2018 it was of course rather damp, and last year it was hot and dusty (and August.)

TRENDING THREADS