• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2022 route rumors

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The planned Hungary start from 2020 was so meh I'd hope they'd pick something different if they reuse it. Has to be at least one interesting stage they can make from Budapest and going west towards Italy.

After that, wonder will they do the original 2020 plan of transfer down to Sicily, especially with nothing down that direction this year or will they do an easier transfer and head to the North East of Italy and skip the south again this year.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Are there any rumours yet? I've been waiting for Fauniera for years, south-western Alps are so underused by the Giro organizers. Combos near Italy/France boarder are not that easy... (Izoard looks like a rest here)

EUmIGzvXYAMeGOC.jpg
You know what I like most about the picture?, that you only have left one place to eat!!! :tearsofjoy:

Question is. If Hungary happens (Kekes maybe? Cuz the Hungarian stages are rather lame) then where will they start after the transfer. I guess the easiest one would be to Friuli and with Slovenia now being cycling mad you could try for a similar stunt like this year, for example around Trieste? I believe next year the Padova Uni will have its 800 anniversary and it could host either a TTT after the Hungarian transfer or a flat/hilly stage to Bologna to link the 2nd oldest Italian Uni with the oldest one. I'll need to look if there are other historic and cycling anniversaries next year. It seems 100 years ago there were some treaties in Genoa and Rapallo, which would go nicely with a Ligurian stage(s). Also next year it'll be 100 years of Monza so i guess you can expect the return of Monza - Milano ITT. Also it'll be 100 anniversary of Mussolini gaining power but i doubt it will be commemorated in any fashion.

Otherwise i guess it's looking at what happened in the last 2 years. Liguria seen no action lately so it may have a stage or two. Maybe Mugello with Giogio/Carnevale/Sambuca? Viterbo? I dunno if and when will they try to revive Fauniera. Also with the failure of FEDAIA!!1! there may be an MTF there like in 2008.

It'll be 20 years after he won the rainbow and i wonder if Lucca/Montecatini Terme will be the only reference. Possibly an Arezzo - Montecatini Terme stage as the last stages he won were in both towns?
A Salò stage finish?

The Friuli region wants to use the Alta Val Torre, mainly the Grotte di Villanova (the caves of Villanova) in a stage to promote tourism in that specific area.
https://www.friulioggi.it/sport/alta-val-torre-giro-italia-regione-30-marzo-2021/
That could be interesting, you could put Sella Carnizza and the Passo di Tanamea right before it.
It would work well if you have a MTF in Slovenia (Mangart or Vrsic would be nice) and if RCS really want to lure one or both of the Slovenians to the Giro a big mountain stage in Slovenia would be the way to go.

According to our local govenor South Tyrol will get a stage next year (probably a mountain stage).
Source: https://www.altoadige.it/cronaca/il...-torna-sulle-strade-dell-alto-adige-1.2920654
Cainero really wants the Monte Lussari thing to happen and is pushing for a Tarvisio-Monte Lussari MTT, Kronplatz/Plan de Corones style on an unpaved climb.
file.php

Source: https://www.telefriuli.it/cronaca/fvg-cainero-lussari-giro-italia-2022/2/220505/art/

There are also rumours about a Prati di Tivo MTF after the one that we had this year in Tirreno-Adriatico, that wouldn't be a bad early MTF.
Also at least 3 towns want to host an ITT.

I would really like either this or a 50km monster (preferably hilly) to happen next year.

The Friuli region wants to use the Alta Val Torre, mainly the Grotte di Villanova (the caves of Villanova) in a stage to promote tourism in that specific area.
https://www.friulioggi.it/sport/alta-val-torre-giro-italia-regione-30-marzo-2021/
That could be interesting, you could put Sella Carnizza and the Passo di Tanamea right before it.
It would work well if you have a MTF in Slovenia (Mangart or Vrsic would be nice) and if RCS really want to lure one or both of the Slovenians to the Giro a big mountain stage in Slovenia would be the way to go.

I think a bank transfer would work better.

• Haha
Are there any rumours yet? I've been waiting for Fauniera for years, south-western Alps are so underused by the Giro organizers. Combos near Italy/France boarder are not that easy... (Izoard looks like a rest here)

EUmIGzvXYAMeGOC.jpg
Best stage design ever. Instant cat 1 climb would create breakaway madness and kill off Ganna and the like within the first 10 minutes.

Could hear grupetto shouts even in the neutral zone.

That would be one stage where I would let the big boys have a soft time cut so we get a proper brutaliser for the GC contenders.

I for one would love a good mountain stage outside the Alps that isn't frigging Etna again. Prato di Tivo seems fine., but I think it works much better in Tirreno cause it's the only MTF there. We haven't seen Monte Petrano/Catria/Nerone since 2009 IIRC.

What about San Pellegrino in Alpe and probably Abetone after it? San Pellegrino hasn't been climbed since 2000... An absolute beast.

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS