• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2022 route rumors

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That was already the rumour a few months ago, Vegni will leave at the end of the year and Cassani will replace him.
I'm more worried about who's gonna replace Cassani as the coach of the national team...
TBF, Vegni cancelled Fedaia after ignoring it for several years, it is only fair and right that he be publicly fired, humiliated and cycling fans worldwide be permitted to pelt him with fruit.
They are talking about Bugno or an influencer... :sob:
...depends what type of "influencer". I'm assuming they aren't meaning they aren't going to give, like, an Italian version of Puck Moonen the job.

TBF, Vegni cancelled Fedaia after ignoring it for several years, it is only fair and right that he be publicly fired, humiliated and cycling fans worldwide be permitted to pelt him with fruit.

...depends what type of "influencer". I'm assuming they aren't meaning they aren't going to give, like, an Italian version of Puck Moonen the job.
"Like, subscribe, and donate to my channel if you wish to see Fedaia in the the next Giro"

Bump.

Anything?
Not much really. The start in Hungary seems to be happening, There should be two stages in Abruzzo (one of which a MTF to Prati di Tivo), then they should go west first and then east. They should go to Liguria, where there have been some rumours about the Beigua, but let's not hope too much, and then they'll go to Piedmont for an ITT and to Aosta for a mountain stage. On the east, too many weak rumours to mention. Need to wait a bit more and see.

Reactions: Red Rick
Not much really. The start in Hungary seems to be happening, There should be two stages in Abruzzo (one of which a MTF to Prati di Tivo), then they should go west first and then east. They should go to Liguria, where there have been some rumours about the Beigua, but let's not hope too much, and then they'll go to Piedmont for an ITT and to Aosta for a mountain stage. On the east, too many weak rumours to mention. Need to wait a bit more and see.
It's a lot more than knowing nothing tbh. Prati di Tivo is I guess a good Etna substitution, although it'll probably be raced less aggressively in the Giro than in Tirreno. Beigua profile looks pretty good depending on when it is?

Is it logical to assume Aosta next means it's unlikely we get the western Alps and they'll instead go east from there?

It's a lot more than knowing nothing tbh. Prati di Tivo is I guess a good Etna substitution, although it'll probably be raced less aggressively in the Giro than in Tirreno. Beigua profile looks pretty good depending on when it is?

Is it logical to assume Aosta next means it's unlikely we get the western Alps and they'll instead go east from there?
I would assume sth like Liguria - ITT in/around Asti - Aosta - rest day. But it's way too early to tell.

Suddenly we are starting to get a clear(ish) picture, with new rumours and some corrections to previous ones.

Sicily should get one stage, with finish in Taormina. From there they'll immediately transfer to Calabria, where they might have a finish in Crotone. After that, no idea until stage 8 that should finish in Isernia. Stage 9 will be an MTF in Abruzzo, and the new favourite now is the Blockhaus, instead of Prati di Tivo.
Rest day, and then they'll go to Umbria (Terni or Spoleto), then to Emilia where Faenza and Reggio Emilia should be involved. Then a stage in Liguria, finishing in the province of Savona (Beigua MTF still very possible), then Piedmont. It's unclear how many stages here (some say even 3), and if they're also gonna go to Aosta or not. What is sure is that the third week will be on the east, possibly starting in Lombardy, then a stage in Trentino/Südtyrol, then stage 18 with a flat finish in Martellago, stage 19 in Friuli with a passage through Slovenia. This stage should finish in Castelmonte. Stage 20 then will finish in the province of Belluno (Nevegal or Tre Cime or something else). Last stage in Verona.

Reactions: Sandisfan
A possible route for stage 19, taken from Cicloweb.

file.php

The finish and the big Slovenian climb should be there, the rest is just guesswork.

A possible route for stage 19, taken from Cicloweb.

file.php

The finish and the big Slovenian climb should be there, the rest is just guesswork.

Sorry for asking silly questions , but is the penultimate climb "the big Slovenian"? It's just the fact that everything on that profile has italian names, so I can't figure out when they enter Slovenia.

If so, that looks like a great profile to me. "Slovenian" climb looks really hard, without obviously looking in depth so it can provide action from far out.

Sorry for asking silly questions , but is the penultimate climb "the big Slovenian"? It's just the fact that everything on that profile has italian names, so I can't figure out when they enter Slovenia.

If so, that looks like a great profile to me. "Slovenian" climb looks really hard, without obviously looking in depth so it can provide action from far out.
yes, it uses the italian names but the penultimate climb is Slovenian. It's this one

KolovratW.gif

TRENDING THREADS