• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2022 route rumors

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Interestingly there are no direct commercial flights from Budapest to Sicily, because they will be terminated in march. Which means, they need to charter a plane. It looks once again like they are trying to cramp everything into this Giro, that is possible. Hungary, Sicily, back up, then Slovenia to maybe get Pogi or Roglic to start? Come on...

Is there any information on the Blockhaus stage? They could end the stage at Hotel Mamma Rosa like in 2017. Or is there a chance to go all the way to the top?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Interestingly there are no direct commercial flights from Budapest to Sicily, because they will be terminated in march. Which means, they need to charter a plane. It looks once again like they are trying to cramp everything into this Giro, that is possible. Hungary, Sicily, back up, then Slovenia to maybe get Pogi or Roglic to start? Come on...

Is there any information on the Blockhaus stage? They could end the stage at Hotel Mamma Rosa like in 2017. Or is there a chance to go all the way to the top?
Rifugio Pomilio they say on the italian forum, a bit higher than the usual Majelletta but not at the top.

Anyway it's hard to believe the two articles (from the same author) that came out today, i mean if i were the designer i won't have any problem to do three stages around Piemonte with Fauniera, Agnello and Finestre but i really can't see it happen. The only believable things are the Friuli and Veneto rumors since the newspapers are from that area and the two stages in Sicily since landing there for a single stage is just crazy and even Zomegnan did it coming from central Italy, not Hungary.

Rifugio Pomilio they say on the italian forum, a bit higher than the usual Majelletta but not at the top.

Anyway it's hard to believe the two articles (from the same author) that came out today, i mean if i were the designer i won't have any problem to do three stages around Piemonte with Fauniera, Agnello and Finestre but i really can't see it happen. The only believable things are the Friuli and Veneto rumors since the newspapers are from that area and the two stages in Sicily since landing there for a single stage is just crazy and even Zomegnan did it coming from central Italy, not Hungary.
ZOMG it's the Fauniera that's not happening :hearteyes:

• Wow
With Slovenia my dream would be a finish in Bovec after the Sella Carnizza and Sedlo Učja right afterwards (2kms at 7%).
If you finish near the ski station (it's a transnational ski resort connected with the one on Sella Nevea) you only have 7kms of false flat after the descent.
Something like this one day after a big mtf on the Piancavallo/Zoncolan/Montasio or another hard climb would be really awesome: https://www.cronoescalada.com/index.php/tracks/view/722495

A possible route for stage 19, taken from Cicloweb.

file.php

The finish and the big Slovenian climb should be there, the rest is just guesswork.

The mayor of Kobarid confirmed the slovenian part of the stage.

The mayor of Kobarid confirmed the slovenian part of the stage.

The article also confirms they enter Slovenia at Učje/Uccea, which fits with Tanamea as the antepenultimate climb in the route posted above. It would also fit with Sella Carnizza but that sadly isn't what's rumoured.

• Wow
Sella Carnizza would be even better, yes. That road is quite sketchy though, that's why I'm pretty sure there is almost no chance they would use it.
Isn't the main problem with that road just the ascent on the Italian side? The eastern side/descent towards Slovenia looks a lot better, if I remember correctly.
Edit: yes, the descent is not even half as steep as the ascent and the road isn't that narrow, it doesn't look too bad.
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.328...121.65661&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656

Last edited:
I think it's time for a first draft, just as a reference. Today an article claimed that stage 20 will finish on Fedaia, but take that with a grain of salt.

1 Hungary
2 Hungary
3 Hungary
4 ??? - Taormina
5 ??? - Crotone
6 heading north
7 more north
8 ??? - Isernia
9 ??? - Blockhaus
rest
10 ??? - Terni? Spoleto? (could be ITT if Asti isn't)
11 ??? - somewhere on the Adriatic
12 Faenza - Reggio Emilia (mandatory straight/pan flat stage)
13 Piacenza? - Savona?Varazze?Celle?Monte Beigua?
14 Asti? ITT?
15 Somewhere in the mountains
rest
16 Valtellina
17 Trentino/Südtirol
18 ??? - Martellago
19 Lignano - Castelmonte
20 ??? - Tre Cime? Nevegal? Fedaia??
21 Verona ITT

Last edited:
I think it's time for a first draft, just as a reference. Today an article claimed that stage 20 will finish on Fedaia, but take that with a grain of salt.

1 Hungary
2 Hungary
3 Hungary
4 ??? - Taormina
5 ??? - Crotone
6 heading north
7 more north
8 ??? - Isernia
9 ??? - Blockhaus
rest
10 ??? - Terni? Spoleto? (could be ITT is Asti isn't)
11 ??? - somewhere on the Adriatic
12 Faenza - Reggio Emilia (mandatory straight/pan flat stage)
13 Piacenza? - Savona?Varazze?Celle?Monte Beigua?
14 Asti? ITT?
15 Somewhere in the mountains
rest
16 Valtellina
17 Trentino/Südtirol
18 ??? - Martellago
19 Lignano - Castelmonte
20 ??? - Tre Cime? Nevegal? Fedaia??
21 Verona ITT

With this kind of route I wouldn't mind a lighter final road stage with the Nevegal Granfondo route/a beefed up version of that one, as it has been rumoured.
Isn't stage 15 rumoured to take place in the Valle d'Aosta?

Thinking a bit more of that profile for stage 19. It's definitely pretty good but just a couple of tweaks would make it epic. Sella Carnizza instead of Tanamea and finish it off with Matajur instead of Castelmonte. One can only hope.

TRENDING THREADS