• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2022 route rumors

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What? What "Olympics" are you talking about?
The Olympic Games, held this summer, originally planned to be held in 2020. 2022 is the first year after where the calendar is unaffected by the Olympics. So that it is possible for the Giro to be held a week later. That'd mean that it would start May 13th and end June 5th.

I'm not sure that I can spell it out more clearly than that.

Reactions: Red Rick
The Olympic Games, held this summer, originally planned to be held in 2020. 2022 is the first year after where the calendar is unaffected by the Olympics. So that it is possible for the Giro to be held a week later. That'd mean that it would start May 13th and end June 5th.

This was to avoid having stages snowed out right?

Thought you meant "after the Olympics" in the sense that "the Olympics" had to finish before the Giro could start. And that's what confused me, because even if they - rather weirdly - held the Winter Olympics in May, there wouldn't be a conflict-of-interests the same way as with the Summer Olympics. Sure, Anton Palzer wouldn't be able to do both, but I somehow don't think they should base the entire schedule on Anton Palzer...
Was the talk that the later Giro start would be permanent - except for in (summer) Olympic Years? Or maybe even in Olympic Years too.

Thought you meant "after the Olympics" in the sense that "the Olympics" had to finish before the Giro could start. And that's what confused me, because even if they - rather weirdly - held the Winter Olympics in May, there wouldn't be a conflict-of-interests the same way as with the Summer Olympics. Sure, Anton Palzer wouldn't be able to do both, but I somehow don't think they should base the entire schedule on Anton Palzer...
Was the talk that the later Giro start would be permanent - except for in (summer) Olympic Years? Or maybe even in Olympic Years too.
If the first interpretation of a text doesn't make sense, try another.

Reactions: yaco
some more rumours. A few days ago a local article mentioned Cogne as the likely Aostan finish.
Today another local article says there should be a mountain stage in the area near the western side of the Garda Lake. I assume this would be stage 17, and that would rule out Trentino altogether. We'll see.

1 Hungary ITT
2 Hungary
3 Hungary
4 ??? - Taormina
5 ??? - Crotone
6 heading north
7 more north
8 ??? - Isernia
9 ??? - Blockhaus
rest
10 ??? - Terni? Spoleto? (could be ITT if Asti isn't)
11 ??? - somewhere on the Adriatic
12 Faenza - Reggio Emilia (mandatory straight/pan flat stage)
13 Piacenza? - Savona?Varazze?Celle?Monte Beigua?
14 Asti? ITT? Mountain stage in Piedmont?
15 Santena? - Cogne
rest
16 ??? - Valtellina?
17 mountain stage in the Garda area
18 ??? - Martellago
19 Lignano - Castelmonte
20 ??? - Tre Cime? Nevegal? Fedaia??
21 Verona ITT

Unfortunately best direct leadin would probably be GSB which would seem unlikely. A proper tappone would be Tze Core, Saint-Panthaléon northeast, Champremier, Pila-les-Fleurs and then Cogne, but that might kill racing the day before if it's a mountain stage as we have no real MTF rumours in there.

After this year's travesty, though, giving me a Tze Core/Champremier stage AND Fedaia (FEDAIA!!!!!) is the least Vegni could possibly do.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Unfortunately best direct leadin would probably be GSB which would seem unlikely. A proper tappone would be Tze Core, Saint-Panthaléon northeast, Champremier, Pila-les-Fleurs and then Cogne, but that might kill racing the day before if it's a mountain stage as we have no real MTF rumours in there.

After this year's travesty, though, giving me a Tze Core/Champremier stage AND Fedaia (FEDAIA!!!!!) is the least Vegni could possibly do.
You could do Pila-les Fleurs via the Terreblanche cimb that they used in the Giro della Valle d'Aosta.
giro-ciclistico-della-valle-d-aosta-mont-blanc-2021-stage-1-profile-54ace61d4b.jpg

giro-ciclistico-della-valle-d-aosta-mont-blanc-2021-stage-1-climb-n3-a6942c20a5.jpg

TRENDING THREADS