• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2022 route rumors

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
local TV today stated that the Blockhaus finish will actually come after Passo Lanciano x2 (that is, the final Blockhaus will not be climbed from Roccamorice, but from Scafa via Lanciano). That should be pretty good.
Stage 10 will start from Pescara and should finish in Jesi.
Also, (unrelated) a stage should go from Paestum to Monte di Procida, I presume stage 7.

1 Hungary ITT
2 Hungary
3 Hungary
4 ??? - Taormina
5 ??? - Crotone
6 heading north
7 Paestum - Monte di Procida
8 ??? - Isernia
9 Isernia? - Blockhaus
rest
10 Pescara - Jesi
11 ??? - somewhere on the Adriatic
12 Faenza - Reggio Emilia (mandatory straight/pan flat stage)
13 Acqui Terme - Savona?Albenga?Celle?Monte Beigua?
14 Asti? ITT? Cuneo? Somewhere else in Piedmont?
15 Santena? - Cogne
rest
16 ??? - Tirano
17 mountain stage in the Garda area
18 ??? - Martellago
19 Lignano - Castelmonte
20 ??? - Tre Cime? Nevegal? Fedaia??
21 Verona ITT

The same TV also repeated the "rumours" of Etna, Fauniera and Fedaia. Needless to say, I don't believe the first two, especially the 2nd.

Last edited:
someone has brought to my attention the fact that there actually has been a decent source claiming the Sicilian stages will be 2 (Taormina AND Etna, in any order), so I guess Etna can be in. I had missed it :D . If that's the case, the Calabrian stage would only be one, and definitely could not finish in Crotone, which is way too far from Paestum. Still waiting for more news.

So first they do the opposite side of Lanciano then some small loop before going back up?

Wait I only now realise the western road doesn't even go to Lanciano
no, they're gonna climb Lanciano from Lettomanoppello or from Pretoro, descend the other side and then reclimb it from the same side, but this time finish higher on the Blockhaus. The finish line will be the same as 2017 but they'll reach it from the other side. (last time they climbed from Roccamorice, which is the only side that does not go through Lanciano)

no, they're gonna climb Lanciano from Lettomanoppello or from Pretoro, descend the other side and then reclimb it from the same side, but this time finish higher on the Blockhaus. The finish line will be the same as 2017 but they'll reach it from the other side. (last time they climbed from Roccamorice, which is the only side that does not go through Lanciano)
Okay. Sounds counterintuitive at first but when I was just looking I saw the Lanciano sides don't start that for apart.

Roccamorice is a better climb though but it's not a huge difference and still a good stage.

But I hadn't realised they could climb to around 1600 and descend stlil, so that would be exciting.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Okay. Sounds counterintuitive at first but when I was just looking I saw the Lanciano sides don't start that for apart.

Roccamorice is a better climb though but it's not a huge difference and still a good stage.

But I hadn't realised they could climb to around 1600 and descend stlil, so that would be exciting.
that won't happen. In any case they will descend from Lanciano, at 1300m

Reactions: Red Rick
Alright I've been thinking about the Tirano stage and I think I had a good idea so I'm gonna post it before someone else gets there too XD
They might climb the Mortirolo and then descend directly towards Aprica, using the road they used last year at the Giro u23, then climb Santa Cristina, descend to Aprica again and then to Tirano.
As I said they used that road last year so it's not that farfetched of an idea. And imho it would be the best option, avoiding the climb to Aprica in between Mortirolo and S.Cristina, which I think works only if you have Pantani in the peloton.

Something like this
mYEMTkE.png

DISCLAIMER: The actual stage might not look like this at all...

Alright I've been thinking about the Tirano stage and I think I had a good idea so I'm gonna post it before someone else gets there too XD
They might climb the Mortirolo and then descend directly towards Aprica, using the road they used last year at the Giro u23, then climb Santa Cristina, descend to Aprica again and then to Tirano.
As I said they used that road last year so it's not that farfetched of an idea. And imho it would be the best option, avoiding the climb to Aprica in between Mortirolo and S.Cristina, which I think works only if you have Pantani in the peloton.

Something like this
mYEMTkE.png

Eshnar: Giveth expectations

Vegni: Taketh away

Something like this
mYEMTkE.png

I'd also love to see a finish on the Passo Eira after the Forcola di Livigno once. Put the Mortirolo from Monno, or even better the Recta Contador before it and you have a great stage.

I can't get over how wrong Recta Contador sounds tbh.
At the time I was kinda annoyed that they named a side of the climb after him before he had done anything relevant on that climb. At least he made things right in the 2015 Giro, but naming a side of the Mortirolo after him when his only previous performance on the climb was the 2008 Giro was some serious BS. They should have named it Direttissima Ivan Basso.:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
At the time I was kinda annoyed that they named a side of the climb after him before he had done anything relevant on that climb. At least he made things right in the 2015 Giro, but naming a side of the Mortirolo after him when his only previous performance on the climb was the 2008 Giro was some serious BS. They should have named it Direttissima Ivan Basso.:cool:
That too, but I was more referring to it sounds like it literally means 'Contadors ***hole'

TRENDING THREADS