• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2022 route rumors

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I mean, the fact that roads get repaved when the Giro comes is known all across Italy.
I meant in a province-like scale. Most of the presented stage would be on roads needing repairs. But then in Italy the roads are repaved like every 2-3 years in such a haphazard way that they almost immediately need repaving. Also, i think i had a case of double exposure(?) and seen the Taormina rumor after Potenza stage and not before. Sorry for that.

I believe the only difficulty of the Procida stage may be some mild, uphill cobbles in/around Napoli. I guess they may pass through either Cava de Tirreni or maybe even Sorrento. If passed through Sorrento and Napoli it would be ~180km long. While not too interesting from the cycling aspect it would be very beautiful with Paestum, Amalfi, the Sorrento peninsulaand coastal road, Pompei, Ercolano, Vesuvius, Napoli and i guess heli images of Capri and Ischia.

What is the nature of Stage 8 to Monte di Procida? One for the sprinters? (Google maps tell me that Monte de Procida is more or less located on a small island near Naples)

The Stage from Pescara to Jesi? Can we expects walls?
stage 8 should be mostly a sprint with a tricky finish, depending on which road they take to get to the town.

If stage 10 does finish in Jesi, yes.

Reactions: Kyllingen86
More rumours. Stage 6 should finish in Scalea, on the Tyrrenian coast. Will most likely be for sprinters.
On the "Resto del Carlino" today (a pretty reliable newspaper when it comes to central Italy) there are multiple news. First, stage 10 is confirmed to finish in Jesi, although they claim the start should be in Sarnano, instead of Pescara (which was stated multiple times and I would think it's a lock). Stage 11 will finish in Reggio but will start in Sant'Agata Feltria apparently. Stage 12 will start from Parma and go to Liguria. The article then gets less specific mentioning that from there they'll go to Piedmont (explicitly stating that Finestre will be in) and then repeating already known stuff. I would tend to believe it for stage 10/12 (with the doubt over the start of stage 10). That means Piedmont should have 2 stages, which kinda makes sense as it avoids the long transfer between the Savona area and Santena.

1 Hungary (not ITT?)
2 Hungary (ITT?)
3 Hungary (ITT?)
4 ??? - Etna?
5 ??? - Taormina
6 Somewhere in Calabria - Scalea
7 Diamante - Potenza
8 Paestum - Monte di Procida
9 Isernia - Blockhaus
rest
10 Pescara OR Sarnano - Jesi
11 Sant'Agata Feltria OR Faenza - Reggio Emilia
12 Parma - somewhere near Savona
13 somewhere near Savona - somewhere in Piedmont
14 Santena - mountains in Piedmont
15 Rivarolo Canavese - Cogne
rest
16 ??? - Tirano
17 mountain stage in the Garda area or in Trentino/SüdTirol
18 ??? - Martellago
19 Lignano - Castelmonte
20 ??? - Tre Cime? Nevegal? Fedaia??
21 Verona ITT

Great if we'll get Finestre in the second week. Basset/Fraiteve would be cool, but anything will do, really (as long as the finish isn't at the top of Finestre).
If we have Etna and double Lanciano the first weet, followed by Finestre the second week and Mortirolo the last week, it's a pretty good layout for a Giro. Add the rumoured Friualian/Slovenian mountain stage and a Dolomite stage, it gets even better.

Great if we'll get Finestre in the second week. Basset/Fraiteve would be cool, but anything will do, really (as long as the finish isn't at the top of Finestre).
Finestre and a finish in Pineolo after the Colle di Pra Martino and that short cobbled climb in Pinerolo woul be nice o bu yes, hard to mess up a Finestre stage. If only they'd finally give us a stage with Moncenision right before Finestre, that would be even better.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Finestre at 60+km from the finish in week 2 may not be that great
Finestre is honestly just too hard to do nothing. One domestique could whittle it all way down there.

Althgouh I would really hope they do Pramartino from the easy side cause then the false flat downhill would only be 20km and the climb would be easy enough not to stop Finestre attacks.

It would basically be this stage with a nice little shortcut

giro-d-italia-2009-stage-10-profile-5d97bb4c57.jpg

Finestre and a finish in Pineolo after the Colle di Pra Martino and that short cobbled climb in Pinerolo woul be nice o bu yes, hard to mess up a Finestre stage. If only they'd finally give us a stage with Moncenision right before Finestre, that would be even better.
From 7 years ago in the Race Design Thread:
Don't know what is more unrealistic, this as a Giro or Tour stage?

28jJx.jpg

I think the most likely combo (of that difficulty) is for the Giro to go from Briancon over Galibier before Moncenisio and Finestre. No Iseran for the Giro, and no Finestre for the Tour.

But then again, when I designed a stage that went over Bonette and Lombarda with the finish at Sant'Anna di Vinadio (my stage started in Cuneo and went over Maddalena), I was very surprised when the Giro actually did that a few years later.

Last edited:
I think the most likely combo (of that difficulty) is for the Giro to go from Briancon over Galibier before Moncenisio and Finestre. No Iseran for the Giro, and no Finestre for the Tour.

But then again, when I designed a stage that went over Bonette and Lombarda with the finish at Sant'Anna di Vinadio (my stage started in Cuneo and went over Maddalena), I was very surprised when the Giro actually did that a few years later.
I wonder if the Tour hasn't used Finestre just cause they haven't been to Sestriere in a long time or if they really don't wanna use the biggest climb cause it's a Giro climb.

I suppose it's the former tho.

• Wow
Yeah and in the end if Sestriere is paying for a stage with Finestre in it they'll get a stage with Finestre.
I might see some variation happening with Mont Cenis, Finestre, Sestriere and then Montegenevre for a finish in Briancon so you have a start and finish in France.

Although maybe if you have such a start and finish combo it's too irresistable to just have a vanilla Galibier stage again.

I might see some variation happening with Mont Cenis, Finestre, Sestriere and then Montegenevre for a finish in Briancon so you have a start and finish in France.

Although maybe if you have such a start and finish combo it's too irresistable to just have a vanilla Galibier stage again.
If you want the exact same last 2.5 km as in 2007 (Tour), and not through the narrow streets of the old town like in the Giro the same year, you can just about make it work from Montgenevre

1pBbYEu.png

Alternatively, you can skip the last 5 km and have a flat finish.

Be a shame not to go through the old town though, but not sure how that could be made feasible without putting the finish literally at the far end of the Parking du Champ de Mars, which would probably prevent them using that properly for the logistics and necessitate all the team cars/buses etc being on the Avenue Baldenberger, and that would probably just be too much of a headache.

Be a shame not to go through the old town though, but not sure how that could be made feasible without putting the finish literally at the far end of the Parking du Champ de Mars, which would probably prevent them using that properly for the logistics and necessitate all the team cars/buses etc being on the Avenue Baldenberger, and that would probably just be too much of a headache.
Wasn't the finish line at the exact same spot for both the Giro and the Tour in 2007?

Different angles, but isn't it the same? View: https://imgur.com/a/deSbFMV

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS