• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023, stage 11: Camaiore - Tortona 219 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
FwUZHDeWIAEqxEV

FwUdzWwWwAUavvL

FwUcMMxWcAEyXrc

View: https://twitter.com/Domestique___/status/1658758667649310721?s=20

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
There must have been one rider with Covid-19 who brought it into the peloton and once it spreads, it spreads.

These are way too much cases and it's in fact totally not in line with the current Covid-19 situation outside of the Giro d'Italia.

Rumors say it could've been Roglic?

There must have been one rider with Covid-19 who brought it into the peloton and once it spreads, it spreads.

These are way too much cases and it's in fact totally not in line with the current Covid-19 situation outside of the Giro d'Italia.

I'd reckon there were multiple riders starting the Giro with a Covid... and the weather certainly didn't help.

By the way, how is the weather looking for today?

Yep. Rogla realized his biggest weakness in GT's was his apparent lack of evil voodoo skills. So he became a literal bioweapon in this Giro instead in order to wipe-out half the peloton. No risk no glory etc.

That's sarcasm by the way, i.e. the 'rumor' you speak of is complete & utter B.S. & it's a real shame some outlets (I think the Telegraph is one of them) ran with that story just for clicks.

219km is the longest stage - how things have changed. I won’t forget Fabio Roscioli’s long range solo attack to win stage 12 of the 1993 TdF: 286km!
I completely forgot that one, thanks!
On the other hand Thierrý Marie's monster solo break to L'Havre some years earlier is still fresh in my memory.

Fabio Roscioli's effort is absolutely mind boggling taken into account that the riders on previous day rode one of the hardest mountain stages in history, starting in Serre-Chevalier, over Col d'Izoard, Col du Vars, Cîme de la Bonette-Restefond (2802m) and finally Isola 2000.

/off topic off.
Seems bad weather has resignated a bit, though a bit dense at the roads seems clearing up.
I do not expect actions of yesterday. Today's way easier route and more forgiving weather I'll expect early brake controlled by sprinter teams all day. Might be another one for Pedersen.

Last edited:
There were always abandons due to flu/cold in the past and especially with the weather like this... difference is that covid is obviously more infectious than flu/cold. So more cases when the protocols are loosened.
And yet... people are laughing when Vinegaar is always using a respirator. It's just too much work, pain and self sacrifice for many months to be reckless about it.

At least the weather looks better today

You don't know that.

Right.

But think about this logically, i.e. Rog was in a hotel in Teide whilst half of his Giro team went to Romandie & got sick. He never came into contact with them. Ditto Jos van Emden who was initially named one of the substitutes was tested positive before flying to Italy.

If this was the movie Outbreak (the one with Dustin Hoffman!), Rog would have been discarded as a 'superspreader' early on. I think that's scientific evidence enough tbh.

If Roglic had covid when he started the Giro (luckily without symptoms in that case), he shouldn't be worried about it now and is prime for winning the Giro. Must be hist luckiest GT up until now. Biggest competitor got sick and he is immune when the fight for the marbles start.

Roglic being a superspreader would give cases in his team first instead of the rest of the peleton. I think it is clear from Evenepoels case what happens if the GC rider has covid. (3 remaining). So think that idea can be abandoned, burried, stabbed and killed.

Of course we don't know if Roglic had covid before or during the Giro. So he might still not be immune. Lets hope for the Giro Roglic/Thomas/Hart are all immune or completely symptomless to the point of not testing positive.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS