• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2023, stage 12: Bra - Rivoli 179 km

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If only Berwick or Skuijns went all-in on the climb trying to drop Denz, the way Denz tried to drop them on the flat, they could have had a chance.
Dragging Denz over the top was game over.
I will never understand why good climbers don't try to drop non-climbers on the climb (being a kind of Denz-type rider myself), even if there is 25K to go. It seems like they are too afraid to go solo and go for all or nothing, than what they actually do: having the comfort of riding together, and having a false sense that they are sprinting for the win, while their chances are going to zero the moment they are in the last kilometer and are 100% sure to be beaten in the sprint (I was rooting for Berwick).

If only Berwick or Skuijns went all-in on the climb trying to drop Denz, the way Denz tried to drop them on the flat, they could have had a chance.
Dragging Denz over the top was game over.
I will never understand why good climbers don't try to drop non-climbers on the climb (being a kind of Denz-type rider myself), even if there is 25K to go. It seems like they are too afraid to go solo and go for all or nothing, than what they actually do: having the comfort of riding together, and having a false sense that they are sprinting for the win, while their chances are going to zero the moment they are in the last kilometer and are 100% sure to be beaten in the sprint (I was rooting for Berwick).
Denz is a good descender and a good play actor.

Worst first 12 days I can remember in a while, god damn. Thankfully I havent watched that much due to work. Lets wait and see in the mountains, it can't get much worse than this.
The 2011 Tour was absolute crap for two weeks marred by crashes and withdrawals of half the GC mix, and then it was gold for the remaining week, so there's still hope.

I just don't have much of it based on recent evidence.

Reactions: TourOfSardinia
The 2011 Tour was absolute crap for two weeks marred by crashes and withdrawals of half the GC mix, and then it was gold for the remaining week, so there's still hope.

I just don't have much of it based on recent evidence.
Tour 2011 is the best comparison with the crashes and the bad weather. The mountains are equally hard, more or less, problem just is that the rider they were supposed to attack is out and so is another one of the best climbers. Tour 2011 only had DNF's from outsiders and not the biggest riders (Contador, Schleck, Evans, Sanchez).

I think Almeida is the only one who can save the race from being bad right now. I don't really have much faith in a Thomas-Roglic duel to light anything up.

Reactions: movingtarget
I know nothing about tactics! What’s the point of Jumbo move with 2 riders on the break? Put Kuss closer in GC? Also didn’t understand what was Formolo doing after being obvious that the chase group wasn’t going to catch the front trio!
I don’t know why they put those guys in the break to start—insurance policy in case Bahrain was up to something? But as far as Kuss continuing to ride in the break and push the climb: I used to hear (read) this more often than nowadays, but riders used to talk about needing a hard stage or hard climb to “open up their legs.” Kuss has been primarily soft pedaling at the back of the bunch most days, so maybe he felt like riding harder today was n deed to be ready for tomorrow. Seems like that would be a bad idea if there was a 3-day high mtn block starting Sat.. But in this case, after stage 13 he won’t be needed as a key for Jumbo til next week.

TRENDING THREADS