• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2023, stage 12: Bra - Rivoli 179 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
About 30-35 km to go. The Sacra di San Michele is just few hundred meters to the right of the main climb of the day, a couple of km after the short descent that is halfway on the Colle Braida. No idea about heli views, it is probably going to rain (but fortunately not so much, it is going to be much worse from Friday to Sunday because in this area forecast shows about 100 to 200 mm of rainfall, while in my area that is 50 km more south it is going to rain about 300 mm in 3 days).
Thank you!

He has been Roglic last man for the whole Giro d'Italia so far hasn't he?

Kuss operational area just comes from Friday on though.
I'd put both Bouwman and Kuss waay above Oomen. I feel he's mostly with Jumbo to keep spirits up. (which isn't an unimportant role, and often even overlooked imo). But he won't be the one pulling Primoz up all those mountains.
I really love the dude though: he's funny and completely unfiltered when put in front of a camera.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The only way they'll have interest is if bonus seconds and a stage win is in play. If the break wins the stage (which seems likely) they'll roll in without a pedal turned in anger.
Does Roglic want the boniseconds right now? I doubt it tbh.

Gonna be a good first 30k hopefully

Mcnulty, Healy, Albanese, Clarke/De Marchi, VPP/APP maybe Cort/Matthews/Pederson or Van Wilder trying to get in the breakaway
Been wondering about Van Wilder. When he was riding for Sunweb/DSM he wanted to stick to riding for GC even if there was little to be gained from it (let's say top 20 in a 2.pro race), even when there could have been opportunities for going in the break. Now he has a choice to make, he's 17th in GC in the Giro, but he's also 12 minutes down, and almost 4 minutes from the guy ahead of him. Also, i've seen him better than the impression i'm getting now. He could try and gain time while going for a stagewin in a break. But often that means losing places in GC the next day(s). My guess is he won't go in the break tomorrow and see how far he can go in stage 13. If that's not a success, then he'll go for stages after that.

Last edited:
It's not about his team not being up to it, it's about taking the weight off of Ineos' shoulders.

I know. But Ineos carrying that 'weight' wasn't so good for Jumbo & the peloton yesterday. I reckon Rog's team have what it takes to control the bunch at the front in order to protect the leader.

It's about deciding when it's time to take responsibility because having the jersey is safer than sitting in the wheels of the (depleted) Ineos guys.

I'd put both Bouwman and Kuss waay above Oomen. I feel he's mostly with Jumbo to keep spirits up. (which isn't an unimportant role, and often even overlooked imo). But he won't be the one pulling Primoz up all those mountains.
I really love the dude though: he's funny and completely unfiltered when put in front of a camera.
So youre telling me he is Chris Anker Sørensen in the later stages of his career?

Light rain in Avigliana at the moment, this is the webcam on one of the 2 lakes of Avigliana. It is located exactly at the beginning of the climb.

last.jpg

At this point, I'm more interested in seeing just how bad things can get in regards to active riders, rather than the actual racing itself.
With the first 50 km on the winding roads of Langhe and the descent from Colle Braida, I would not be surprised in case some other GC rider has to abandon due to crash....especially since it is probably going to rain.