• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2024, 1st Rest Day Poll: Best of the Rest?

Who will finish highest in GC in the 2024 Giro of the riders who are not Pogi?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think Martinez looks good and up for it. Is this his first ever GT as leader? I think he'll probably feel there's something to prove, too
After winning the Dauphiné 2020 he started as a co-leader in the Tour, but he crashed in the first week. He still managed to win a stage. In 2021 he finished 5th in the Giro as a helper of Bernal. Since then something has always gone wrong in the first week. It's a small miracle that he got through the first week perfectly this time.

Feels like it kinda depends on if the guys are continue to be paralyzed by Pogacar being there like on Prati di Tivo or if they're actually gonna go hard for it.

It's a bit of a problem for many that even Majka pace with a tailwind isn't hard for the top 5 climbers in the race and Ineos have the 2nd best team at this point.

That said, there's no big mountain stages now before the 2nd ITT, so that will clear things up a bit more.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
Feels like it kinda depends on if the guys are continue to be paralyzed by Pogacar being there like on Prati di Tivo or if they're actually gonna go hard for it.

It's a bit of a problem for many that even Majka pace with a tailwind isn't hard for the top 5 climbers in the race and Ineos have the 2nd best team at this point.

That said, there's no big mountain stages now before the 2nd ITT, so that will clear things up a bit more.
I think it plays out quite differently when a break is far up ahead and takes the stage win.

Honestly, no one behind Pogacar is at all convincing. I’d be more confident in G if he hadn’t done a terrible ITT. When he is decent, he does well in ITTs.

Edit. I voted Martinez. I think G just doesn’t quite have it, and O’Connor has some psychological weaknesses I think. IMO those are the 3 main candidates, though. I think they will all finish before Cian and Tiberi.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It's hard to care about any of these guys, I can't pick a podium from the array of random riders in the top 10. We used to have giri between Landa, Nibali, contador, Aru, Quintana, Dumolin etc. and now we just have a bunch of random ai generated GC riders who can only push their numbers and hope for a good result.th

that is a bit unfair ...I never remember Dumoulin or Aru attacking that much ....if at all ...Same with Nairo except that time on the Stelvio when he ignored the red flag or that time at the 2013 Tour where he made loads of time on the ascent but lost it on the descent

Thomas is a Tour champion and podium winner , plus a Giro podium candidate, Martinez has had bad luck but is a very good rider that would give some of the ones you mention a run for their money
Cian and Tiberi are young

There are very few riders that Pog doesnt make look poor when they are not that bad at all and deserve some respect