• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2024, 1st Rest Day Poll: Best of the Rest?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will finish highest in GC in the 2024 Giro of the riders who are not Pogi?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
that is a bit unfair ...I never remember Dumoulin or Aru attacking that much ....if at all
If there was one thing Aru was good at was attacking on not extremely steep climbs and then keeping his tempo. Most of his GT stage wins came this way.

His GT results were massively helped by Astana being Astana in that period but let's not pretend he was not a superb climber at his peak (which lasted a couple of years).

If there was one thing Aru was good at was attacking on not extremely steep climbs and then keeping his tempo. Most of his GT stage wins came this way.

His GT results were massively helped by Astana being Astana in that period but let's not pretend he was not a superb climber at his peak (which lasted a couple of years).
Monte Grappa MTT was outrageous, 17s off a very good Quintana and one minute ahead of everyone else.

I'm undecided about Daniel Martinez. I'm not yet confident in his consistency. It seems that leading the race each day boosts his confidence. He appears to be one of those riders who needs good early results to succeed. Only time will tell. This race is crucial for his confidence moving forward, especially since he has had several opportunities in the past without success.

As for Thomas, he is getting older and seems to be fading away. I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes off the podium.

I'm also unsure about Ben O'Connor. His past performances haven't inspired confidence in his podium potential. However, the competition in this race is softer than the Tour, and there's another time trial ahead, which is good news.

If I were to place a bet, I'd back Tiberi for the third spot. He is a wildcard—unpredictable and potentially disruptive. Perhaps he'll adopt a more conservative strategy once he's on the podium, but until then, he could pose a risk to the top three riders.

I think Thomas is still most likely to finish 2nd, but I also think there is a pretty good chance of some smaller name having a surprisingly good level and finishing 2nd, beating the rather low ceiling guy Thomas. If Tiberi ends up on the podium I'm definitely not shocked.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I voted for Hirt not because I think he has an outstanding chance at the podium, but because apparently no one (at least the cameras and commentators) has even noticed he is in the race and in the top 10. He might do really well or barely just survive, who knows?

On a more realistic note I'll go with Geraint Thomas' corpse and I guess Martinez, with Pog being such a huge favorite and already minutes ahead it'll be interesting to see how the peloton dynamics present themselves from now on. Hopefully UAE won't be like the Sky train from days of yore, that would be a frustrating borefest.

I think Thomas is still most likely to finish 2nd, but I also think there is a pretty good chance of some smaller name having a surprisingly good level and finishing 2nd, beating the rather low ceiling guy Thomas. If Tiberi ends up on the podium I'm definitely not shocked.
Yeah, Thomas can get better or recover better compared to the others as the race goes on.

I think the younger guys are more likely to struggle or have a bad day, but who knows... it can happen to Thomas as well.

I think O´Connor/Thomas are most likely to finish 2nd and 3rd. Dont know the order though.

Martinez looks good but have a feeling he might struggle at some point.

Tiberi and Uijtebroeks probably duking it out for the Youth classification. I would be surprised, but not shocked as you say, if either gets on the podium in this race... but who knows.

A bit off topic but, I really think that without Pogacar the Giro would've been much more boring.
Yeah, we'd have a few closely matched contenders close to each other but we've seen how good does that works in the last 2 years. Everyone would feel "it's now or never" and nobody would risk anything.

On topic: I somehow think that Thomas will prevail for the 2nd and as I don't really trust O'Connor and DFM, I'd go with Cian for the 3rd. Arensman is my dark horse. He usually gets better as the race goes by, he has a good TT and isn't too far.

It was actually a poll on here from after Vuelta 22 I was thinking of - he didn’t race it but was a top prospect.

Still it's a bit early to give up on him when he's only 21 and is in with a chance of podiuming only his second GT.

There's like 5 contenders for 2 places. And the big problem is Thomas is in virtual 2nd with the ITT in mind, and he rarely does anything, plus he has the strongest team of the lot. In addition, Martinez is within plausible uphill sprinting range of Thomas. So likely you need one of Blobloblo, O'Connor or Tiberi to start attacking. But then if the stage win is up for grabs, Pogacar will just shut down attacks and pull the guys on the defensive back unless they get dropped themselves.

I voted for Blobloblo like in the first vote. Why are we having a second vote? Are people changing their original pick? Changing horses in mid-stream is diminishing your first instincts..no? What's the other expression?: make your bed now sleep on it. Anyway...can't wait for Le Tour or any other race.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Pogacar won't win the Giro. It's never the most likely suspect. The poll question should be: "What will go wrong for Tadej?"

A. Disqualified for wearing the wrong trousers.
B. Positive corona test.
C. Top 5 crashes out. Tiberi becomes the first Italian winner since Nibali.
D. He sets a new record on the Stelvio, unaware that this climb has been canceled.
E. Bardet takes the pink jersey in a breakaway stage and keeps it.
F. Other (specify).

Reactions: DoYouEvenRideBruh
I voted for Blobloblo like in the first vote. Why are we having a second vote? Are people changing their original pick? Changing horses in mid-stream is diminishing your first instincts..no? What's the other expression?: make your bed now sleep on it. Anyway...can't wait for Le Tour or any other race.
Why? It’s to have something to discuss on the rest day. And Mondays are bad enough as it is, but with no Giro to watch distractions are needed.

I think it’s very hard to sort who has best form for the podium because Prato d Tivo was ridden in such a controlled fashion it’s hard to sense who will have good climbing legs in the high mountains (once Pogacar leaves everyone behind and they start racing against each other).

I went with Arensberg because I never pick Ineos guys, but why not?

Ed. Feel free to insert the comment/joke “what high mountains” whenever you’d like 😊

Pogacar won't win the Giro. It's never the most likely suspect. The poll question should be: "What will go wrong for Tadej?"

A. Disqualified for wearing the wrong trousers.
B. Positive corona test.
C. Top 5 crashes out. Tiberi becomes the first Italian winner since Nibali.
D. He sets a new record on the Stelvio, unaware that this climb has been canceled.
E. Bardet takes the pink jersey in a breakaway stage and keeps it.
F. Other (specify).
F. DNS due to boredom on a stage.