• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2024, 2nd Rest Day Poll: Best of the Rest?

Who will finish highest in GC in the 2024 Giro of the riders who are not Pogi?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Between Martinez and Thomas, I think today suited the latter. Baring a bad day, I think Martinez will find 15" on Thomas.
He may find 15 bonus seconds (if Pogačar plays ball because Bora doesn’t look like they can chase breaks), but possibly GC G actually finds out you can attack on Stage 20 and gets it back. Maybe if he closes in just enough and G doesn’t notice and then snubs him on the Grappa stage?

Daniel Martinez has wasted a chance today. He blew himself up trying to follow Pogacar. He didn't use those steep parts in the final 2 km. There are no more steep MTFs after today, so in spite of being the slightly better climber I don't really see where he can take those fifteen seconds back.

Monte Pana ends with 2km at 11.8% average.

Second Brocon has 3km at over 10% beginning at about 5km to go.

Thomas. It's clear enough for a while now that everyone considered their only chance is that Pogacar has a problem, crashes or is ill or whatever. Thomas has that pole position as prime beneficiary of a Pog-problem and Ineos will just ride as if they're leading the race now.

The problem for the race is that noone amongst the top 10 has the motivation or capacity to even put any pressure on in advance of the Tour de France. Bora at least should have been trying to raise hell from the start of the race with an eye on Roglic's Tour chances, but any chance of doing that is long gone now.

Reactions: sevenall
Thomas. It's clear enough for a while now that everyone considered their only chance is that Pogacar has a problem, crashes or is ill or whatever. Thomas has that pole position as prime beneficiary of a Pog-problem and Ineos will just ride as if they're leading the race now.

The problem for the race is that noone amongst the top 10 has the motivation or capacity to even put any pressure on in advance of the Tour de France. Bora at least should have been trying to raise hell from the start of the race with an eye on Roglic's Tour chances, but any chance of doing that is long gone now.

Bora lost Lipowitz, so raising hell is actually very hard for them if they want Aleotti or Schachmann to stay with Martinez for as long as he can. I don't think that's a good risk to take.
That being said: they should try to attack Thomas at some point, even though it looks like he's on solid form at least and will probably grind trough. But the differences are not big at all, even O'Connor isn't that far away if things go well for him on one of the remaining tough stages.

I am still undecided: something tells me O'Connor and Martinez have more to show in the last week than Thomas, but that might just be my hopes taking over my intuition to much.

Reactions: Escarabajo
Rest day

GOBPez3XMAAwohn

GOAxporWYAAi1-D

Reactions: Sciatic
Daniel Martinez has wasted a chance today. He blew himself up trying to follow Pogacar. He didn't use those steep parts in the final 2 km. There are no more steep MTFs after today, so in spite of being the slightly better climber I don't really see where he can take those fifteen seconds back.
I think for the podium contenders (places 2& 3 that is) a lot can happen in terms of gaps opening up on Stage 20.