• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2024 Stage 17: Selva di Val Gardena/Wolkenstein in Gröden – Passo Brocon, 159.0k

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Someone with very little hope of winning the white jersey, does a turn for someone on the podium, and everyone is furious with Thomas. Nothing stage, so have to get angry about something I suppose.
Arensman was like thirty seconds behind Tiberi lol, and the pull was for, what, 1.5km? Arensman sacrificed his chance at the white jersey and a top five so that Thomas could follow wheels. That's not good leadership.

I like Thomas and I've defended him here before, but this just felt like punishing Arensman for yesterday's non-existent crime which he was visibly annoyed about in the morning interviews.

Arensman was like thirty seconds behind Tiberi lol, and the pull was for, what, 1.5km? Arensman sacrificed his chance at the white jersey and a top five so that Thomas could follow wheels. That's not good leadership.

I like Thomas and I've defended him here before, but this just felt like punishing Arensman for yesterday's non-existent crime which he was visibly annoyed about in the morning interviews.

It's a tough one. Martinez had been riding without any help since Sella so it made sense to test him out.

Reactions: postmanhat
G has been a grumpy dude since the beginning; when he knew he maybe, might be, wants to be....the best second place ever?
He built his entire season around one race, so it’s not unreasonable to think he should try to get a podium with full team support. Now, if Arensman hadn’t had a bad start to the Giro, it might be a different story.

Not sure if Thomas is returning next year, maybe 2025 Tour is his last hurrah. But Arensman looks good enough to earn GT leadership. He’s developed nicely at Ineos.

Not sure if Thomas is returning next year, maybe 2025 Tour is his last hurrah. But Arensman looks good enough to earn GT leadership. He’s developed nicely at Ineos.
He said it's his last giro, and that in 2025 he will focus on different races. Apparently he is also going to be at the tour this year, but I would say this GT is his last with a general classification focus

Ineos have the best team in the race by a distance, that's what makes it so frustrating, GC wise they haven't even tried to put pressure on at any point, no attacks at all. At least DSM tried something, perhaps with Rodriguez and Bernal in the Tour they might get in breaks and stuff, maybe take advantage of the bigger guys fighting it out.
TBF tho, Arensman's terrible opening weekend left them with only one bullet in the gun, which limits their options for moves a lot more. No, they haven't got creative, and no, Thomas hasn't tried much of anything at all, but if actual opposition had to react to Arensman on other stages, he could have been used as a weapon in a much more effective manner if Ineos were so inclined.

Now, whether they would or could be so inclined given how they've historically ridden with Thomas as leader is another question, but at least it would have been a viable option.

TBF tho, Arensman's terrible opening weekend left them with only one bullet in the gun, which limits their options for moves a lot more. No, they haven't got creative, and no, Thomas hasn't tried much of anything at all, but if actual opposition had to react to Arensman on other stages, he could have been used as a weapon in a much more effective manner if Ineos were so inclined.

Now, whether they would or could be so inclined given how they've historically ridden with Thomas as leader is another question, but at least it would have been a viable option.
They could have tried to use him in some early brake, at least he would have forced other to chase or broutgh him closer in GC