• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2024: Stage-by-stage analysis

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Is there anything keeping them from using the Tunnel to go into Switzerland? It would be the obvious option (if they want to keep the starting location). I have to say though, if they can't do that and we are looking at a 250km stage over Mortirolo, Tonale and Mendola, I wouldn't complain too much either. None of those climbs is particularly interesting (from the respective side) but that would still be an extremely hard stage.

One thing I just noticed is that all three intermediate sprints take place in the last 50km. That seems like something you would do if you fear the route will only be as planned from Bozen onwards. That might signal they already have a backup route planned and that that backup route will not go through Vinschgau. That's really just a guess though.
I mean you just know that's never happening.

I presume they'd just shorten the stage, do all the travel by bus and start in like Prato dello Stelvio

31ah-groundhogday-movies-superJumbo.jpg
Excellent commentary!

To be honest, the stage was really the most boring way they could have used the Stelvio, so it's not that much of a loss as it could have been.

I just don't understand why they don't have Plan B with a good alternative and always seem to be *** surprised by some mountain that obviously was a risky choice, isn't traversable.

Car transfer? They could take the tunnel from Livigno to Switzerland and cross Ofenpass to get to Prato (most likely option imo).
Optionally Vegni is feeling crazy and avalanche security materializes on Umbrail or (best option) Gavia + Tonale + Mendola.
Vegni will include a Fauniera - Sampeyre - Agnello - Izoard stage into Briançon before he uses the south side of Gavia as a descent.

Reactions: Monte Serra
It is the displayed support vehicle route on the Giro stage map so this would be quite surprising.

Page 341 of the Garibaldi suggests that heavy vehicles would not be using the tunnel and that the tunnel is probably cars only.

But maybe I am overestimating the size of the modern buses. for the tunnel, the maximum vehicle dimensions are 3.6m height and 2.55 width

• Wow
Reactions: QueenStagiaire
Page 341 of the Garibaldi suggests that heavy vehicles would not be using the tunnel and that the tunnel is probably cars only.

But maybe I am overestimating the size of the modern buses. for the tunnel, the maximum vehicle dimensions are 3.6m height and 2.55 width
The Stelvio is also limited to 10.5 m length and 3.3m height so this was always going to be logistically challenging for the teams then.

Some snow is forecasted on both Foscagno and Mottolino between tomorrow and Friday but I reckon they should be able to clean it up before the stage.
As far as I know both roads are passable at the moment.
Is Mortirolo open? Every page I can find lists it as closed still (e.g. https://www.valtellina.it/it/situazione-passi)?

Though realistically that should be easy to clear & open if it still really is closed?

Is Mortirolo open? Every page I can find lists it as closed still (e.g. https://www.valtellina.it/it/situazione-passi)?

Though realistically that should be easy to clear & open if it still really is closed?
Might still be closed to public considering the past month has been very snowy but I wouldn't worry about it.

Vegni says they will start looking for alternatives tomorrow

Rumors on X say Umbrailpass is the most likely alternative but I'm not confident.