• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2024: Stage-by-stage analysis

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Even though we might be a little annoyed about some of the profiles and startlist, at least the scenery alone always makes it worth watching, and look, at least we have this classic stage to look forward to!!;

stel.jpg

It’s here!

The forum isn’t the forum without the Giro stage-by-stage analysis, and with Eshnar having stepped down there was only the next-best option: doing it myself. I hope I’ve managed a level of quality similar to what we’ve all grown used to, but you can be the judge of that.
I hoped you would do it ;)
Haven't read it yet, but I'm sure it's great like your other race previews, and probably even better. Cheers!

Last edited:
Which steep side do you think of? I think he meant the Pinei side from Ponte Gardena, or even better, via St. Oswald.
From Waidbruck (Ponte Gardena) you still end in Kastelruth if you want to do Pinei, same with St. Oswald.

Pinei connects the Grödnertal, more precisely St.Ulrich with Kastelruth. The steep side is the side from St.Ulrich they will descend on stage 16.

Reactions: Sandisfan
From Waidbruck (Ponte Gardena) you still end in Kastelruth if you want to do Pinei, same with St. Oswald.

Pinei connects the Grödnertal, more precisely St.Ulrich with Kastelruth. The steep side is the side from St.Ulrich they will descend on stage 16.
Ascending from Waidbruck to Kastelruth is actually steep for multiple kilometers (steepest 5k section 10.1%) and much harder than coming directly from Blumau. It‘s actually much harder than coming from St. Ulrich.

I think the Giro will be a pleasent surprise for almost everyone and very nice racing.

Like most in life its due to expectations. Also theres alot of people with nothing to loose so all inn full gas.
I'm looking forward to the Giro despite Pog being the heavy favorite. I'm sure the scenery will be great as usual, and the battle for second and third should also be exciting. So, it is what it is and you just have to make the best of it.

Ascending from Waidbruck to Kastelruth is actually steep for multiple kilometers (steepest 5k section 10.1%) and much harder than coming directly from Blumau. It‘s actually much harder than coming from St. Ulrich.
Thats true, but thats not Pinei. What you mean is the climb to Kastelruth and basically you are right, every other climb is better than the one they use.