• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2024: Stage-by-stage analysis

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This is what outside sports use for outdoor sports in Australia and I guess other countries.
also in the US, where NASCAR regularly gets postponed due to nearby lightning, for example. It happens a couple of times per year. They also cancelled a day of the BMX World Championships in South Carolina because of it last week.

In Europe, protocols are not as strict, though, and it almost never happens.

Reactions: yaco
There is strong rumours that Finestre will be at the Tour 2025.

Even so, there is also strong rumours that Granon and Ventoux will comeback in 2025....and i don't believe ASO will put all of this climbs in the same Tour.....

Lying close to Italy/France border Finestre has all the ingredients to become the most legendary climb in the next few decades - shared by two GTs!

Reactions: Froome
I do, but people also keeping saying how Pogi only rides zone 2 in the Giro... Maybe most people are joking but it certainly could be confusing to some.

Actually for large part of stages it's surely Z2: riding inside peleton on easy terrain without any team making it too hard. Mountain stages is another matter obviously but it depends: if some team wants to destroy the rest like JV at the Tour then obviously a lot of time in Z3 (and Z4 on the last climb or two).

Actually for large part of stages it's surely Z2: riding inside peleton on easy terrain without any team making it too hard. Mountain stages is another matter obviously but it depends: if some team wants to destroy the rest like JV at the Tour then obviously a lot of time in Z3 (and Z4 on the last climb or two).

Of course, I was thinking specifically of the final mountains where he rides away from the others.

View: https://x.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1793332871291191700

If RCS doesn't care about the mythical climbs of the Giro, and instead doing soft Giros, i hope ASO uses Finestre in 2025 or 2026.
I fear that under the current circumstances (Giro starting early May + strict application of the EWP + riders fully aware they can decide not to start) RCS will gradually shy away from using climbs over 2000 as a pass, let alone a pass involving 8 km of sterrato.
And sadly that's the sensible thing to do.

I fear that under the current circumstances (Giro starting early May + strict application of the EWP + riders fully aware they can decide not to start) RCS will gradually shy away from using climbs over 2000 as a pass, let alone a pass involving 8 km of sterrato.
And sadly that's the sensible thing to do.

Finestre is not that super high + they can schedule it at the end of the race (like they used to) when the weather on average is better + western Alps in Piedmont have a bit warmer and drier climate than high Alps in Lombardy. All in all, I don't see it as problematic (compared to Stelvio or Gavia for example).

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Rick
Finestre is not that super high + they can schedule it at the end of the race (like they used to) when the weather on average is better + western Alps in Piedmont have a bit warmer and drier climate than high Alps in Lombardy. All in all, I don't see it as problematic (compared to Stelvio or Gavia for example).
If the whole spring is cold and wet (like 2023 and 2024) you have little to no time for the road maintanance work which is required, and you still get extremely cold days with temperature close to 0 on top (happened this week, ie the last week of the race). Bad road conditions + freezing temperatures is a no no for the EWP, as proven multiple times at the Giro in the last few years.
I'm 99% confident that the current peloton would have refused to ride Colle delle Finestre this week.

Besides, any plan B in the area would look absolutely dreadful compared to the original route, assuming a stage finish in Sestriere or Bardonecchia.