• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2024: Stage-by-stage analysis

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If the whole spring is cold and wet (like 2023 and 2024) you have little to no time for the road maintanance work which is required, and you still get extremely cold days with temperature close to 0 on top (happened this week, ie the last week of the race). Bad road conditions + freezing temperatures is a no no for the EWP, as proven multiple times at the Giro in the last few years.
I'm 99% confident that the current peloton would have refused to ride Colle delle Finestre this week.

Besides, any plan B in the area would look absolutely dreadful compared to the original route, assuming a stage finish in Sestriere or Bardonecchia.
I think theres a big difference between cutting early climbs vs cutting decisive climbs. I suspect they think they get away with a lot more if its early climbs canceled rwther than climbs the fans have looked forward to seeing the entire year

Road surface issues are on the climbs amd not the descent as well

Last year they were worried about Croix de Coeur and then had GSB canceled, and then in 2021 doing Giau was never in question despite cold and rain

By the way how cold was Stelvio 2020?

I think theres a big difference between cutting early climbs vs cutting decisive climbs. I suspect they think they get away with a lot more if its early climbs canceled rwther than climbs the fans have looked forward to seeing the entire year

Road surface issues are on the climbs amd not the descent as well

Last year they were worried about Croix de Coeur and then had GSB canceled, and then in 2021 doing Giau was never in question despite cold and rain

By the way how cold was Stelvio 2020?
-1° / 3°, with no precipitations.
The infamous Morbegno - Asti was scheduled the day after, I guess you remember it :D

• Haha
Reactions: Red Rick
I fear that under the current circumstances (Giro starting early May + strict application of the EWP + riders fully aware they can decide not to start) RCS will gradually shy away from using climbs over 2000 as a pass, let alone a pass involving 8 km of sterrato.
And sadly that's the sensible thing to do.
Just give us awesome low altitude routes like 2015.

Last edited:
Just have the Giro start 1-2 weeks later and most of the problems will dissapear.
But the UCI-ASO is against it, because Dauphine. Honestly, they could totally have the Dauphine and the TdS at the same time.
I really don't get this from ASO. You could design the first stage of Dauphiné in a way, that they wouldn't clash timewise. With a prologue or a stage that finishes around 14:30. I mean honestly, nobody cares about the Dauphiné's first stage.

Until 2001 the Giro finished at the end of the first week of June. In that year overall winner Gilberto Simoni finished the Giro on June 10th and then started Tour de Suisse on the 19th. He finished second there.

Dauphiné was in between the two races. From 10th to 17th. So there were even rider who did both Dauphiné and Suisse. It was a thing in the 80ies. But in those times there were a lot of normal stages in those races. So it was doable.

With the Summer Games it's difficult this year. But in normal years it would be easy to do it like that. And TdF would have to start a bit later.

Reactions: SafeBet
I fear that under the current circumstances (Giro starting early May + strict application of the EWP + riders fully aware they can decide not to start) RCS will gradually shy away from using climbs over 2000 as a pass, let alone a pass involving 8 km of sterrato.
And sadly that's the sensible thing to do.
They still can do better than this, with hard climbs like mortirolo(hard side), Zoncolan, Alpe de siusi, riffugio panarota, plan montecampione, alpe di pampeago, alpe di siusi, blockhaus, passo coe.