• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia edition: Who had the best program?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Again I won't do a poll, but I'm going for Jose Enrique Gutierrez (aka the Buffalo) who rode for Phonak and came second at the 2006 Giro. You mean a bloke who is 189cm (6 ft 2+1⁄2 in) and weighing more then 78kg (if wiki is to believed) coming second to Ivan Basso who won by more then 9 minutes, on a brutal course, finishing ahead of guys like Simoni, Cunego, and Savoldelli?
laugh.gif

I was going to go for Basso originally, but he always was a favourite for the race overall, even if he went a little overboard (sorry, he was going to use it) with his program given to him by Fuentes.

Doesn't have to be guys who won the race, could be guys who won a stage etc.

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
How about Ricco. Is it possible that he actually held back on taking the
GC in order not to make it to obvious that he was on a stellar-program?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Again I won't do a poll, but I'm going for Jose Enrique Gutierrez (aka the Buffalo) who rode for Phonak and came second at the 2006 Giro. You mean a bloke who is 189cm (6 ft 2+1⁄2 in) and weighing more then 78kg (if wiki is to believed) coming second to Ivan Basso who won by more then 9 minutes, on a brutal course, finishing ahead of guys like Simoni, Cunego, and Savoldelli?
laugh.gif

I was going to go for Basso originally, but he always was a favourite for the race overall, even if he went a little overboard (sorry, he was going to use it) with his program given to him by Fuentes.

Doesn't have to be guys who won the race, could be guys who won a stage etc.

Mazzoleni was a classic carthorse turned into thoroughbred, as well. The Buffalo did stand out in 2006; whatever Pantani was on in 1999 was wonderful. Bugno in '90 and Berzin in '94 clearly had something the others lacked.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Menchov!

I Think that last year not only Di Luca was on the dope, but also Menchov. No prove of course, and we might never, but the way he won the ITT stage from Sestri Levante of 60 kilometres raised some suspicisions. We don't see Menchov up there in a ITT that often. I think he ran out of dope by the Tour and that's why he messed up.
It's all hypotheses ofcourse, have no prove. Only that Humanplasma thing in Austria that happened just when the Tour got underway and Menchov was apparently involved in.
So yeah for me Menchov had the best possible sneaky doping program for the Giro last year! Luckily he won't participate on saturday.

Franco Chioccioli, 91 Giro winner, a regular Top 10 finisher in previous Giros, he morphed into a super winner(in his 30s) in 91 winning 3 stages and easily beating Bugno, Chiappucci amongst others. That whole Del Tongo team was dodgy, I think they won 8 stages at the 91 Giro with Cipo taking 4. One of their riders, Joachim Halupczok was one of the pros who died at that time whose death was linked to EPO misuse.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Vonn Brinkman said:
I Think that last year not only Di Luca was on the dope, but also Menchov. No prove of course, and we might never, but the way he won the ITT stage from Sestri Levante of 60 kilometres raised some suspicisions. We don't see Menchov up there in a ITT that often.

I agree 100%.

I got proof...watch him cross the finish line in the final TT, take his helmet off and walk around. He looks exactly like Flandis did when he won his epic breakaway. He's a man possessed!:eek: Defintiely on some sort of testosterone hormone or something. He looks like he could rip the head off of a horse and eat it! This is after a HUGE effort to win the overall in the ITT, a big crash, and, just being spent after 20+ days of racing. WhaaaaatEVER! :D

May 13, 2009
Visit site
58teeth said:
I agree 100%.

I got proof...watch him cross the finish line in the final TT, take his helmet off and walk around. He looks exactly like Flandis did when he won his epic breakaway. He's a man possessed!:eek: Defintiely on some sort of testosterone hormone or something. He looks like he could rip the head off of a horse and eat it! This is after a HUGE effort to win the overall in the ITT, a big crash, and, just being spent after 20+ days of racing. WhaaaaatEVER! :D

To be fair, after the crash, the adrenalin was probably through the roof.

TRENDING THREADS