• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 1: Amsterdam ITT (8.4km)

Giro d'Italia Stage 1: Amsterdam ITT 8.4km

3 days to go, fck it!

alt_01_600.jpg

pla_01_600.jpg

Dead flat. Couple of bendy bits, but a lot of straight miles too.

This is probably Wigans' aim for the race, doubt he will win.

Vino, Nibali, Evans, Sastre, Garzelli, Scarponi will all be looking to make a GC statement.

Pinotti, Millar, Larsson, Wiggins, Rabon, Karpets, Farrar... who else are the contenders for the stage?

I think I'll tip Millar... Has already won a couple so far this year so I wouldn't be surprised if he continues his good form.

Vino to lead the GC boys.

Btw - why did they make Evans #1 - Too many missing/disgraced from last year's GC?

Vino!! He has said that he wants to wear the pink jersey for a day. Stage one is a prime opportunity. He is in raging form. It may not last the whole three weeks, but he will be good for at least the first week.

Millar should also be good.

Wigans to disappoint. He has not showed anything this year.

Evans should do well. He is in the same situation as Vino. His form is really good but may not last the entire Giro.

It seems like they should have made one of the former winners number one. I would give it to Gibo since it will be his last Giro.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Richie Porte is a huge chance.

See what Jack Bobridge does. Cam Meyer, maybe too short for him?

It wouldn't surprise me to see an Australian win.

Then there are the others; Millar, Pinotti, Wiggins etc. Wiggins is the interesting choice. Good opportunity to notch up a win on a course that suits him.

Looking at the team time trial on Tuesday, Garmin probably have the best team on paper.

Would love to see the Aussies do well but i think its between Millar and Pinotti....Both have shown some decent form so far this season......The favourites will all be around the top 10-12 riders at the conclusion of the Timetrial..

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I myself am wondering how they will manage with the tram-tracks and the not spectacular quality of the roads in all places. I hope Amsterdam does something about these things, or it can become a ride filled with at least some crashes

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Dead flat. Couple of bendy bits, but a lot of straight miles too.

This is probably Wigans' aim for the race, doubt he will win.

It appears to be his race to loose with a few other hopes thrown in (e.g. Miller, Pinotti) .

The GC contenders should really come out to play, as you won't win the tour here or in the next stage, but you can certanily loose the tour here. It would not be suprising if some come close to the top.

The key may in fact be the weather and the effect that this has on the riders ability to race the course.

Ferminal said:
Btw - why did they make Evans #1 - Too many missing/disgraced from last year's GC?

The only options for the #1, would have been Rabobank, being the team of the previous winner or alternatively the World Champion - who would you prefer.

I know, the World Champion, and a real GC threat (lets skip over the poor Le Tour in 2009 as of illness and team issues), and has worn the leaders jersey in all three grand tours, would be who I prefer.

Giving it to a previous winner, seems good in theory, however they have already worn the number in their title defence - why give it to them again.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Bobridge should do well. Pinotti and Millar will battle it out for the win. Wigans will try but when he fails badly he will say he is just here to build up to the tour.

Barrus said:
I myself am wondering how they will manage with the tram-tracks and the not spectacular quality of the roads in all places. I hope Amsterdam does something about these things, or it can become a ride filled with at least some crashes
Also, the forecast is rain. Where is Denis Menchov when you need him?

Konovalovas to set a moderately decent time, after which a downpour starts, causing him to beat poor Wiggins by 1 sec.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Richie Port will have some confidence after Romandie

He was 40 sec faster than Valverde/Rogers/Pinotti on the second half of the 20 km TT last week

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Vino!! He has said that he wants to wear the pink jersey for a day. Stage one is a prime opportunity. He is in raging form. It may not last the whole three weeks, but he will be good for at least the first week.

Millar should also be good.

Wigans to disappoint. He has not showed anything this year.

Evans should do well. He is in the same situation as Vino. His form is really good but may not last the entire Giro.

It seems like they should have made one of the former winners number one. I would give it to Gibo since it will be his last Giro.

Then people have been saying things about how basso, pellizotti and sastre have showed no form going in and were wondering if they had any form.

Will we get some words of wisdom from you if wiggo fails dismally?:D

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Did Amsterdam fix the roads yet? I hope so, these are some of the turns:
Into Weesperstraat:
ehag3t.jpg

Towards Ceintuurbaan:
28mjzpj.jpg

Amstel will also be fun if it rains, mayhem ensured (if I have the right street):
2w23m9s.jpg

Totally insane.

auscyclefan94 said:
Then people have been saying things about how basso, pellizotti and sastre have showed no form going in and were wondering if they had any form.

Will we get some words of wisdom from you if wiggo fails dismally?:D
Sastre hardly ever shows any form going into a GT. He's the quintessential third week guy, which is when he will destroy the likes of Evans and (if he's still up there) Vino.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Sastre hardly ever shows any form going into a GT. He's the quintessential third week guy, which is when he will destroy the likes of Evans and (if he's still up there) Vino.

Evans will crush him on Plan de Corones. It is evans' time to shine. HE is GOD!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I doubt Wiggins will be contending for this stage, he doesn't seem to have much form right now and seems to have lost some of his raw prologue power since he slimmed down for going up hills.

The course seems like it has some fairly technically tricky bits, especially given the tram tracks, so I am going to look to the veterans. Millar perhaps, although he said he was tired after his classics campaign so may not yet be back to top form after taking a post-roubaix break. Vino is a good shout with the form he is in right now, and I think Cadel probably has an outside shot too.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Near Weesper is fixed at the moment at least I believe. I'll see if I have the time to ride the entire course and will inform you on the state the roads.

But as far as I know Vijzelgracht still looks like:
art_xlarge_11798.jpg