• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 17: Bruneck - Peio Terme (173km)

Despite the favorites hammering their bodies on the way up the Kronplatz, the Giro must go on. Tomorrow's stage, while not as tough as stage 15, or stage 19, still offers two climbs that will surely offer more chances for the favorites to try and make the difference.

The stage will bisect Südtirol, travelling from Bruneck (one of the handful of German speaking cities in the area) to the tiny mountain town of Peio. While the final climb is long, it does not appear to be particularly steep, although the gradient looks the worst in the final few kms.

After the first two weeks produced no stage wins for the trifosi to cheer about, the last few days have been all Italy. I'm hoping this will continue, and one of the hardest battling men of this Giro, Michele Scarponi, to take the stage win after sprinting out of a small group also containing Evans, Basso, Nibali, Vino and....... Bauke Mollema :rolleyes:

alt_17new_600.jpg

pla_17new_600.jpg

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Took you long enough!

I think we will see some attacks on the Palade, but nothing decisive, and a group of 25 or 30 coming into the last climb together, with Vino attacking inside the last 5km to take the win.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Breakaway.

Failing that, Sprint between contenders. Garzelli winning. Or Cunego, but Garzelli's finish is faster.

agreed.
It benefits Liquigas to probably let the breakaway take the time bonuses.
If it does come to the gc men, then cunego for the win.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If it's all together, I suspect Liquigas will play out Nibali on the final climb and the fireworks will start. The stage doesn't look too frightening perhaps, but it surely won't be boring in this Giro.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I guess tomorrow Lampre; Acqua e sapone, and Astana will try to control the race and dispute stage victory for Cunego, Vino or Garzelli. Cunego and Vino had a good Giro, but I think they wanna try to win a stage.

Maybe Cunego can wait for stage 19 or 20, but Vino has to try tomorrow.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Before the tsunami of Evans induced psychosis hits the forum, I will modestly post that if Bbox want to win a stage they are down to two realistic opportunities: Tomorrow and Thursday. May either day grant them such an opportunity.