• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 21: Verona - Verona (ITT) 15km

"Laud be to God! even there this Giro must end.
It hath been prophesied to me many years,
I should not die but in Verona;
Which vainly I supposed the Holy Land:
But bear me to that chamber; there I'll lie;
In that Verona shall this Giro die."

-Adapted (with love) from Shakespeare's Henry IV, part II

And so it comes to an end, one of the best GTs of recent years. A race which rarely failed to disappoint; and in many instances provided pleasure and excitement almost to great to express.

For this spectacular Giro to finish in Verona is fitting; the entire city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its many beautiful buildings. Long a city artists, poets, thinkers and Damiano Cunego, it also provides the setting for Shakespeare's most overrated tragedy (the lamentable Romeo and Juliet) and one of his most underappreciated comedies (the delightful Two Gentlemen of Verona, widely considered to be the Bard's first play). Verona also has quite some history in the cycling sport outside the Giro, having hosted the World Championships twice, in 1999 and 2004, both wins for Oscar Freire.

It's sad to offer my final prediction... But I'll do it anyway. Because I'm still a little disappointed he wasn't able to do better I'll pick Cadel 'Cuddles' Evans to take the stage win and somehow rocket into 3rd place overall.

alt_21new_600.jpg

pla_21new_600.jpg

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Cuddles might manage to vault on to the podium, but I don't think the route is long enough for him to get the time he needs on Nibali.

I'm going to say Brad Wiggins first, Cuddles second, Pinotti third.

Nice Introduction Moondance.

It's hard to predict after 3 weeks, but normally I'd say Wiggins, but I'm not sure if he's able to give his 100%.
I'm hoping for Cadel. I always have sympathy for the guy and ending 3rd this Giro would suit him. It's not nr.1 again, but only few people manage to win a GT.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I think it's too short to make up all that time an make it on the podium. But give Cadel Evans credit. he raced hard, and did credit to the rainbow jersey. He will ride like a mad man tomorrow that's for sure.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Given how much energy he was able to save by riding with his whole team protecting him, I think Basso will have pretty fresh legs tomorrow. I'll pick him for second, and Evans for the win.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
As everyone says,If Wiggins has any interest at all in the last stage he should take it.

Being a swede I have to vote for Gustav Larsson though,the course could suit him well.

The stage tomorrow is 15km,it is harder than stage 1,Nibali wont have to waste any energy pacing Basso.Can he come close to Arroyo??

Arroyo lost 48 seconds in stage 1 to Nibali!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Evans or wiggo ftw. Course suits evans with the uphill part in it and hopefully he can get around the corners better than he has been doing on the descent.

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
1. Porte
2. Evans
3. Wiggins
4. Vino
5. Pinotti

I don't think the top 10 in GC should change really... maybe Porte could slip down one, but I think Vino will be too tired to overtake him... maybe Pinotti moves up to ninth

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
markene2 said:
Vino will take this, he knows he dont have many GT's left. And will give it everything, just wait to look at his face at the finish.

No way Vino should be able to beat Wiggo. Vino gave everything in the last week, Wiggins just came in with the grupetto all the time, resting for this.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Wallace said:
Given how much energy he was able to save by riding with his whole team protecting him, I think Basso will have pretty fresh legs tomorrow. I'll pick him for second, and Evans for the win.

What? Basso can TT now?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
way out on a limb...

Basso
Vino
Evans
Nibali
Porte
Scarponi
Arroyo

Grand tour champions ride like, well grand tour champions. Besides, the track is short and hilly. Wiggins doesnt have the legs nor the heart.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Wigans is what 24 hours, a week behind now? And after barely surviving this Giro he's going to suddenly turn it around on the last day and out perform all the riders who have show themselves to be better bike riders than him in every condition, on every kind of stage? I can see Vino winning the stage out of desperation and heart, or Cuddles out of strength. But Wigans has neither. He's a weak pussy who should shut up and go away.

When has Wiggins ever won - or even placed on the podium - of a GT time trial (excluding this year's prologue)? Speaking of this year's prologue, I'm puzzled as to how he even won it. Losing all that mass and most likely some power, would not help in a pancake flat prologue which he has almost always sucked at in the past. If he were not an Anglophone, he wouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Basso or Evans.

Evans FTW.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Wallace said:
Wigans is what 24 hours, a week behind now? And after barely surviving this Giro he's going to suddenly turn it around on the last day and out perform all the riders who have show themselves to be better bike riders than him in every condition, on every kind of stage? I can see Vino winning the stage out of desperation and heart, or Cuddles out of strength. But Wigans has neither. He's a weak pussy who should shut up and go away.

wiggins has been resting and saving his legs for this, hence will be fresher.

TRENDING THREADS