• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 3: Amsterdam-Middelburg (209km)

Pancake flat again. But along the Dutch coast there is always wind... But having checked the predictions online, the wind will be pretty mild. Only 2-3 on the Beaufort scale, blowing in a South-westerly direction, so in the back of the peleton. Will be a fast stage with potential breakups highly possible. I say Goss takes a messy stage & sprint.

giro2010_3profile_600.jpg

giro2010_03map_600.jpg

May 13, 2009
Visit site
At 152 km, elevation gets up to 8m.

Here's the profile of the stage:

(I always wanted to do that).

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
On the second to last day the riders will face the Cima Coppi, the highest point of the Giro, on top of the Gavia.
Tomorrow the riders will meet the lowest point of the route. In the Haarlemmermeer polder they will be 6 meters below sea level. I will name it the Cima Zoetemelk.

Both Zoetemelk and Coppi of course faced very difficult times during their careers. Coppi had to suffer through the Second Wold War. Zoetemelk suffered through the careers of Merckx and Hinault.

(also Zoetemelk was born about 10 miles south of the lowest point)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Bernardus said:
On the second to last day the riders will face the Cima Coppi, the highest point of the Giro, on top of the Gavia.
Tomorrow the riders will meet the lowest point of the route. In the Haarlemmermeer polder they will be 6 meters below sea level. I will name it the Cima Zoetemelk.

Both Zoetemelk and Coppi of course faced very difficult times during their careers. Coppi had to suffer through the Second Wold War. Zoetemelk suffered through the careers of Merckx and Hinault.

(also Zoetemelk was born about 10 miles south of the lowest point)

Why not Cima Kirsipuu. He was good downhill :p

(Especially when there were no corners involved)

Bit of an oxymoron. "Cima" means top or peak, after all

The grand total of 20m climbing over 209km is going to be tough going for the sprinters. Could be a day for the pure climbers to come to the fore...

...with that in mind, my pick for the stage is Henderson. Surely he used all his crash bad luck up yesterday.

A

Anonymous

Moondance said:
Hmmm... I pulled mine from the CN page. Mellow took his from the Gazzetta site... I'll believe the Gazzetta over CN every day of the week.

this is the one i pulled from gazetta about a month ago
st3route.jpg

profile is very exciting..
st3prof.jpg

I do assume there is a bridge towards the end of the stage :eek:

May 13, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
this is the one i pulled from gazetta about a month ago

profile is very exciting..

I do assume there is a bridge towards the end of the stage :eek:

Maybe they have to wait for low tide? Could be messed up if there's an escape.

A

Anonymous

Cobblestones said:
Maybe they have to wait for low tide? Could be messed up if there's an escape.

or a causeway.. :D

I love a good cobbled causeway with the tide coming in..

(i cant find video anywhere of the infamous '99 passage du gois - but apparently its BACK FOR 2011)

Tugboat said:
The grand total of 20m climbing over 209km is going to be tough going for the sprinters. Could be a day for the pure climbers to come to the fore...

...with that in mind, my pick for the stage is Henderson. Surely he used all his crash bad luck up yesterday.

Yeah i heard some of the GC men were gonna put on a compact crankset because of the severity of the climb:rolleyes: It is gonna be epic!

TRENDING THREADS