• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 4: Savigliano - Cuneo (TTT) 32.5km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
I don't know who will win or who has the strongest TT team on paper, but I'll be rooting for Astana and Vino.

He said he was happy with their results in the prologue, and likes being in the maglia rosa because they get to go last on Wednesday. It's usually the first five riders who count, so if someone isn't up to speed on the day, they could drop him. Or maybe let a few guys go all out pulling at the front and then go with five like Garmin did last year.

Mostly I want to see Astana do well because it's a chance for guys who JB wouldn't bother with thrive at a race RS didn't bother to enter.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Or maybe let a few guys go all out pulling at the front and then go with five like Garmin did last year.

Damn that was awesome watching those 4 dudes pound it with Hesjedal hanging on for dear life.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
I really have no idea how this will play out. There are a lot of teams with a lot to play for, and the only thing we can be sure of is that one of them is going to disappoint. I don't think being a man down will be a huge disadvantage to Garmin and BMC (although for sure Garmin lost the bigger engine), the course is long enough that most teams will probably be shedding riders at one point or another.

That pretty much sums up where I sit on this ttt.
Add to which I hope to see the pink jersey move along again, I like this daily changing thing; very democratic in a way.

I hope the uphill finish doesn't skew the results. :D

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
ferryman said:
It was wasn't it:)

I fear for Cadel in this one.

Sky
Columbia
Liquigas
Astana

for me without any real confidence in the pick;)

Cadel doens't have to fear losing time, even a few minutes to Sky, Columbia or Garmin as they don't have any GC threats (given Wiggins is using the Giro as a tune-up). All he has to ensure is that he doesn't lose big time to Liquigas, Astana and Cervelo. Out of those 3, Astana is the real threat to him, he may even make time on Cervelo, who aren't great TTTers.

offbyone said:
It is 32 kilometers, the gaps will be much bigger.

The top5 in the TdF last year were all within one minute. Guess what, Astana, Saxo, Garmin and HTC were all in the top 5 then. All the teams I listed will be within 90seconds apart from BMC, who are a complete uncertainty (could go either way).

Not sure where you got that idea from?

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
I'm not even going to try and predict anything, but let's keep our eyes on Bbox :p

Not enough turns for some unexpected field grazing. They should do better than second last or at least I hope. Plus they don't even have a legitimate threat GC contender, Trofimov was 7'59 down yesterday, so the end result of where they place is somewhat irrelevant.

Ferminal said:
The top5 in the TdF last year were all within one minute. Guess what, Astana, Saxo, Garmin and HTC were all in the top 5 then. All the teams I listed will be within 90seconds apart from BMC, who are a complete uncertainty (could go either way).

Not sure where you got that idea from?

Their teams at the Giro are not their TdF squads.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
HTC-Columbia
Sky
SaxoBank
Garmin
Astana +40"
Liquigas +55"
Cervelo +1'20"
BMC + 1'40"

Kind of like what i would have. I think generally people are OVER estimating Liquigas. Yes they have Nibali who can tt and ivan is alright but is the rest of the team that flash?

BMC in the prologue put out better results than cervelo and liquigas. I think BMC will take time on Cervelo. BMC recconned the ttt course quite a bit.

Probably my take,
Sky
HTC-Columbia +10"
Astana +30"
Saxo +35"
Liquigas+1"00
BMC+1"20'
Cervelo +1"25

TRENDING THREADS