• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 6: Fidenza - Marina di Carrara (172km)

With the surprise breakaway victory in Novi Ligure, a certain air of excitement hangs in the air for the first real climbing that the peleton will experience this Giro, featuring some serious skirmishes in the Northern Appenines. While still relatively short at 172km, the stage slowly winds through Emilia–Romagna before finishing in the lovely Tuscan seaside town of Carrara, famed for the nearby marble quarries, which date all the way back to Roman times, with noted structures like the Pantheon in Rome and London's Marble Arch or Michelangelo's David statute having been crafted from Carrara marble.

While there are two long climbs earlier in the day, the decisive climb looks to be the small hill to Bedizzano, which at 266m is only 10km or so from te finish. I'm looking to a punchy rider down in the GC to try to fire a serious shot at getting back in GC contention, and therefore I'm picking Stefano Garzelli to take the win, possibly in a solo. Cunego and Scarponi are others whom I would venture a bet on.

alt_06new_600.jpg

pla_06new_600.jpg

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Does this stage have enough of the right ingredients for a Voeckler breakaway to commence before the Marina da Carrara?

Also, thank you Moondance for starting these threads and providing a bit of commentary.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Cunego and Scarponi are others whom I would venture a bet on.

I agree with your predictions. Certainly garzelli will have a go.
someone like Gerdeman will surely have a go too.

others who spring to mind: Pozzovivo, wegmann, maybe even uran.

Out of the GC men, I can only see Vino having a go.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
How do you define GC contender? Are you predicting a loss for Evans, Sastre, Nibali, Vino or Basso specifically, or do the likes of Cunego, Karpets, Gerdemann, Tondo etc. also apply?

I am keeping it deliberately vague so I can claim I was right no matter what happens.

Crap maps, but I know the route from Aulla like the back of my hand.........well, almost.
Rolly, twisty, turny, uppy, downy and narrow. Other than that easy.
Last climb will entice somebody with aspirations to be Phil Gilbert, to have a go, but it may come back for a buncho sprinto, if not the with the entire peloton.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Garzelli is only 2:49 back, so he'll be marked if he tries something. The last little climb finishes 10 kilometers before the end, so the peloton could reel in late attacks, but I'm picking the break to stay away again (by a bigger margin this time).

To save reading time, just assume that I'm picking the break to stay on any stage without a mountain finish, and on most of those as well :cool:

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I think this course has the looks of one that will be, as the saying goes, as hard as the riders make it. If the pace is kept high over the last few climbs the pack could shed a lot of riders, but if no-one pushes it then it could all come back together before the finish. Most of the last 10km are down a nice big wide straight road.

So if I'm reading the icons correctly, the TV coverage will start inbetween the 1st and 2nd (rated) climbs?

I will second the kudos to Moondance for the public service he is providing by putting up these posts every day. Here's hoping Moondance is right and we get to see some jousting going to Bedizzano and on to the finish.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
BeachBum said:
So if I'm reading the icons correctly, the TV coverage will start inbetween the 1st and 2nd (rated) climbs?

That's the icon for the TV classification, for which TV doesn't mean television but Traguarde Volante. Basically, it's an intermediate sprint classification for which only intermediate points count, which makes it somewhat of a combativity prize.

Ah, the Giro and it's 658 different classifications. Do you know what the winner of the Fuga Cervélo classification (most kilometres in a break) gets? A bike. You'd think the winner already has one of those.

Don't think Garzelli will get away as he's only 2.49 behind in the GC.

Now, I'm just name dropping: Albasini, Gasparotto, Voeckler, Cioni, Jackson Rodriguez, Nicki Sørensen, Cataldo, Bonnafond could all get away tomorrow. Well, perhaps not Gasparotto but I think the course suits him well.

I might not get even 1 right though :D

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
yeh i agree garzelli will be marked and vino despite his attacking intentions doesnt need to burden his team with the pink either, could be a break but a really open road for the last 10KM probably means a reduced bunch sprint, im thinking Lampre really have to do something and Cunego and Simoni could be allowed away if they have the form but if not Pettachi is reasonably good over hills

May 6, 2009
Visit site
tgsgirl said:
That's the icon for the TV classification, for which TV doesn't mean television but Traguarde Volante. Basically, it's an intermediate sprint classification for which only intermediate points count, which makes it somewhat of a combativity prize.

Ah, the Giro and it's 658 different classifications. Do you know what the winner of the Fuga Cervélo classification (most kilometres in a break) gets? A bike. You'd think the winner already has one of those.

I'd accept it instead :D

It's what I love about the Giro, so many random and pointless classifications.

A

Anonymous

breakaway of riders 10+ minutes off the pace while the gc guys prepare themselves for the spectacle of satruday and the hills on sunday.

Cummings to win for sky :D

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Competition will be especially fierce among Sastre's teammates.

Ah, I can see it now. Tondo's bike breaks down in the final stage, he asks for a new one from the team car and Van Poppel* refuses: "No Xavi, you're not first in the Fuga Cervélo classification!".

*assuming Poppel is in the Giro for CTT

TRENDING THREADS