• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia - Stage 7 - Maddaloni → Montevergine di Mercogliano - 110km

A

Anonymous

First day in the hills.

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_planimetria_07.jpg

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_07.jpg

Final KM
ukm_07.jpg

Livestreams at all the usual places
[steephill] [teamskyfans]

Text Coverage

Current Standings

Blimey, 110km. Bit short.

Last 11km rise 569 metres = 5% so not that steep. Does anyone know what Weening's chances of clinging on are? He's on good form at the moment and might not be that far behind if no-one really attacks but given the small time gaps i would have thought that Siutsou, Pinotti etc will go all out for the jersey so i cant see him keeping it. HTC might want the breakaway to take the time bonusses to lessen the chances of someone further back taking the jersey. Contador and Scarponi might try and launch a big attack but would the top guys want the jersey now? Think they will be marking each other.

What km will Duarte attack?:D

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Montevergine is almost always a sprint of an elite group. I expect Weening to lose the jersey with someone like Pinotti taking it. We won't see Alberto, Menchov, Nibali or Scarponi stick their noses against the windows til the last 2km at the earliest.

Mellow Velo said:
The usually fly up here, dropping riders all the way, until 30 or so top dogs are left. Speediest guy left wins, rather than the strongest.

indeed. i kind of like this type of climb to be used as the first MTF. mostly if on a very mountainous course like this giro. is like a sneak peak on whats to come in the following weeks :p