• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia - Stage 7 - Maddaloni → Montevergine di Mercogliano - 110km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
Does anyone know when the estimated time of arrival is since this is such a short stage?

I think I read around 1705 with the fastest stipulated average speed on the official site, so about the same time as all the other stages.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I personally think that a lesser rider will win tonight from an attack of a lesser rider. Doubt the breakaway will win but a 2nd tier rider who isn't a threat will go away and take the stage.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I personally think that a lesser rider will win tonight from an attack of a lesser rider. Doubt the breakaway will win but a 2nd tier rider who isn't a threat will go away and take the stage.

Who will this be? Give me a name ACF! Or 3 names if you feel more comfortable that way. This prediction is too elaborate.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

I tend to agree, but if the break makes it could be any of a large number. To pluck as semi random name Stortoni. If not from the break I think Sella, Duarte or perhaps Machado.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Preview by JFQ: "This is the first uphill finish and it's now a classical one for the Giro d'Italia: the Montevergine is 17km long with and average of 5% and the steepest part at 10%. That means no big difference can be created but some so called favourites for the overall win could lose their hopes in this climb in the southern part of Italy where Di Luca imposed himself twice before (in 2001 and 2007) and Damiano Cunego did likewise in the year of his sucess (2004) ahead of Bradley McGee and Franco Pellizotti. The stage's historic component includes a visit to Teano where Garibaldi had a crucial meeting with the future king of Italy, Victor Emmanuel II."

Supposedly there is 40km of climbing in todays stage. Looking forward to tonight!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
boomcie said:
What's up with Tschopp? Everybody seems to be naming him today... I'm a little puzzled, but alright.
People are saying his name because

1) He is a candidate for the green jersey
2) Baldato said that he and Frank will try to do something today
3) And this...
320-Tappa%2020-12.jpg

Now that I've hyped Tschopp up he's likely to fail!

oh it's time to go uphill 30 km/h!i love this kind of stages.androids are ready to start the massacre,let's see how many victims they will make.

my little prediction:

1.il killer di spoltore(it's his climb after all)
2.duarte(he's crazy fresh)
3.sella(time to shine again,nice attack yesterday)
4.le mevel(high french quality)
5.kiserlovsky(when he attacks,you can't see behind him,he's that big)

it will be a good day for cycling.

auscyclefan94 said:
Now that I've hyped Tschopp up he's likely to fail!

He was extremely likely to fail, even without your hype.

Breakaway or lesser rider attack here is historically VERY unlikely.
This is usually a cavalry charge from start to finish.

Today's climb may not create but a few seconds in terms of time gaps, but it will expose any contender who isn't quite in shape.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Killer should be good here.

Anyway, I know Rujano likes it more steep, but will he give it a go regardless?

Watch out for menchov. I can't see him being dropped, And he has a neat gallop.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
110km long and a flat stage to follow. I expect either the favourites themselves or more likely their teams will put the hammer down. Maybe Saxo will try and drill it to lose some of the other contenders.

The winner will come from a select group of 20 to 30. Rodriguez could be a good bet for the win today. Duarte as long as he doesn't have to work for Menchov and Sastre. Di Luca as well (although I'd like to see him fail miserably).

Weening thinks he might be able to hold the jersey. And also Nico Verhoeven believes he can be a stage-racer. Weening himself lost belief in that after 2005 and focussed on stage-wins. But before the Giro started he had as goal top-10.

I think that's a nice ambition to have, but impossible...If he's really in superform, he might get into the top 20, but other than that, he'll probably end up somewhere the same place as last year 24/25th