• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 9: Frosinone - Cava de' Tirreni (187km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Hotbrakes said:
Who ever wins will be Italian.

The home town boys need to pull their finger out or have a change of luck (yes they did win the TTT but they need a solo).

Cunego will win something by Giro end. He's been trying real hard. Don't worry, Italians will win something.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
It's way off topic, but I looked ahead and noticed the Kronplatz Time Trial for the first time. The whole thing is a climb (12.8 Km), with slopes up to 24%. Ay carumba. I guess there really is hope for climbers to fight back into this.

Sorry, please go back to what you were doing.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
It's way off topic, but I looked ahead and noticed the Kronplatz Time Trial for the first time. The whole thing is a climb (12.8 Km), with slopes up to 24%. Ay carumba. I guess there really is hope for climbers to fight back into this.

Sorry, please go back to what you were doing.

Being a pure climber does not nessercarily mean that you are going to go well on this course. The gravel roads and riding it as an ITT changes the scenario. Anyway, cooke ftw.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
It's not really a time trial as it's a pure climb and you'll be on normal road bikes. Whoever climbs well on the day will win. At this stage on current form, if it were held today, Tondo would win.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
It's not really a time trial as it's a pure climb and you'll be on normal road bikes. Whoever climbs well on the day will win. At this stage on current form, if it were held today, Tondo would win.

Still, they will be going up solo the whole way. It is a test of real strength as they will have nobody to shelter behind.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
If they have over 5 minutes with 50km to go, yes they do. We know what the peloton has been like chasing sprints. That's proven to be a good advantage for a break to stay away as proven last week.

Sasquatch said:

Re the TT, IMO Mountain + Time Trial + gravel = Evans Win.

Re today, who knows. Hopefully an obscure Italian from a break-away.

Or Farrar.

Anyone but The Gorilla.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Yep

Sprint finish is on the cards.

Greipel actually needs to win if he wants a good contract. If he can't win at the Giro, the teams that are looking at him will offer him less $$$$ than he's getting at HTC.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Eyjafjallajokull said:
True. Cav is taking back the limelight. Greipel needs to pull something out.

I didn't see a very dominant sprint win last night...considering he had a full train (per norm), and Haedo really nearly came around him. A win's a win but still not to level of dominance he displayed last year...

I'd hardly call it a taking back of the spotlight just yet...

Sasquatch said:
Yep

Sprint finish is on the cards.

Greipel actually needs to win if he wants a good contract. If he can't win at the Giro, the teams that are looking at him will offer him less $$$$ than he's getting at HTC.

I've been quite surprised by his lack of challenges thus far...he looked tired at the last sprint finish (or was it just me?)

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
flyor64 said:
I didn't see a very dominant sprint win last night...considering he had a full train (per norm), and Haedo really nearly came around him. A win's a win but still not to level of dominance he displayed last year...

I'd say Cav wasn't even trying at TOC yesterday.

Farrar to take the sprint today.

flyor64 said:

I'd hardly call it a taking back of the spotlight just yet...

I've been quite surprised by his lack of challenges thus far...he looked tired at the last sprint finish (or was it just me?)

Im sure that there are better ways to recover from illness then riding the first week of this years giro d'italia...
Don't know if he's really fit again, but I don't think so. He just really looked tired in the last sprints.