• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 9: Frosinone - Cava de' Tirreni (187km)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Wow, from the overhead Goss absolutely smoked Tyler Farrar. Columbia should have been riding for him from day one, they might have three stage wins by now.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
tgsgirl said:
A sprint with Vino and Cuddles? What the hell is up with this Giro?!

Every morning Zomegnan plays the stage on his Cycling Manager, takes notes and then tells each rider "OK, this is what you're going to do"

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Wow, from the overhead Goss absolutely smoked Tyler Farrar. Columbia should have been riding for him from day one, they might have three stage wins by now.

Goss is very light for a sprinter. The other sprints weren't uphill.

As for riding for him, Rabon says they were.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Vino and Cuddles duking it out for bonus seconds? Well, they got pwned by the sprinters at least.

And it wasn't Greipel. Greipel was nowhere (which is coincidentally the same place where the Columbia train went).

Sky still haven't learnt how to do a proper lead out. Again Haymen went up with 1.2 km to go or something like that with Sutton and Henderson on his wheel. How do they expect to last all the way in for that long? Hayman should go up with perhaps 700 meters to go and then let Sutton take it with 400 meters to go for Hendo to take the last 150-200 meters.

I don't know how many times I've seen them with the sprinter or lead out at the front with 5-600 meters to go and then having to start over from a new wheel which amounts to nothing.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
Isn't it brilliant!
Although just wait for Contador and Schleck on the Champs Elysee...

I know! All sprint stages should be forced to be like this. See HTC, you don't need the Train de Tedium, just do it like this every time from now on!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Goss is very light for a sprinter. The other sprints weren't uphill.

As for riding for him, Rabon says they were.

Goss was faster than Greipel (and everyone else except Farrar) on Stage 2 and that was pancake flat.

I hadn't heard that Rabon had said that, when did they decide to demote Greipel?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
Cadel Evans is wasting way too much energy. He seems to be trying hard to copy Valverde...

and poor Sastre. His bad luck in this giro never ends.

I find it impossible to believe that he will compete here until the end (I do think he will compete at the giro till the end, and probably win) and then be a contender at the tour. No chance, this giro is just too demanding, and plus he has been pretty full throttle since before the classics.
Not to mention he has no team behind him.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Goss was faster than Greipel (and everyone else except Farrar) on Stage 2 and that was pancake flat.

I hadn't heard that Rabon had said that, when did they decide to demote Greipel?

The answer to both those points is: when Greipel spent the night before the prologue awake in the bathroom.

If he recovers, he'll be redesignated main sprinter. If he doesn't recover, Goss will continue to be the sprinter.

Simple. It's what a team does when one of their leaders is sick or injured. Just the same as Cervélo riding for Tondo yesterday. It doesn't mean Tondo is better or that Sastre sucks. it just means Sastre/Greipel isn't able to show his ability.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
^^^^

I know Greipel was ill, Isso, and I know that explains him being slower than usual, but every sprint stage it has looked like Columbia have been working to lead him out.

Farrar was only 5 points behind Cuddles going in to today, so he should take back the points jersey.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Vino is probably already planning his next ambush of Cuddles, seeing his team are completely useless.

Wait, Cuddles has a team? I swore I saw him do all the work himself to bridge to Vino's group, again.

TRENDING THREADS