• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 9: Frosinone - Cava de' Tirreni (187km)

After several days of suffering the poor Giro riders are rewarded with a an 'easy' stage, a 187km affair from Frosinone in the south of Lazio to Cava de' Tirreni, a popular tourist location just south of Naples, situated less than 5km from the Amalfi coast and surrounded by mountains and lush forests. Campania is all it's beaty.

While the stage is largely flat, the finish does slope somewhat upwards. Doesn't look to be steep enough for a puncheur to have a serious go, but it'll take a strong team to pilot a rider sucessfully to the line. Therefore (against my better judgment, since he never wins when I pick him) I'll go with the surprisingly still win-less Columbia to pilot Andre Greipel to the victory. A break probably has a serious shot at staying away, since I doubt Astana will be looking to chase hard, and the other 'big' teams will want to 'have a day off' after all the efforts of the last two days.

alt_09new_600.jpg

pla_09new_600.jpg

I think we will see a break get a huge gap as the field rests for most of the day. Garmin will want to pull it back to keep Farrar in contention for the points jersey. The GC teams will want to take it easy. Good chance the break will succeed. Farrar wins if it does not.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I'll be cheering for the break to stay away (I think it's a residual effect of an old addiction to PacMan :eek:), but my prediction is that Farrar will win a bunch sprint and knock Radio Shack down to 15th place in the UCI Team Rankings. Quick Step knocked RS down to 14th last week with a stage win.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
I'll be cheering for the break to stay away (I think it's a residual effect of an old addiction to PacMan :eek:), but my prediction is that Farrar will win a bunch sprint and knock Radio Shack down to 15th place in the UCI Team Rankings. Quick Step knocked RS down to 14th last week with a stage win.

RS will beat all other teams after TOC.

Oh wait, why this 'Second Biggest Race in the world' is not even on the UCI world calendar? :eek:Something must go wrong.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
The DNFs/DNSs are piling up after just eight days.

Here is who will not be starting tomorrow:

DNF BONNAFOND Guillaume FRA/ALM
DNS BRUSEGHIN Marzio ITA/GCE
DNS CAPECCHI Eros ITA/FOT
DNF CHARTEAU Anthony FRA/BTL
DNF KOHLER Martin SUI/BMC
DNF KOZONTCHUK Dmitry RUS/RAB
DNF MASCIARELLI Andrea ITA/ASA
DNF MASCIARELLI Francesco ITA/ASA
DNF MERLO Michele ITA/FOT
DNF MODOLO Sacha ITA/COG
DNF MURPHY John USA/BMC
DNF PETACCHI Alessandro ITA/LAM
DNF TIRALONGO Paolo ITA/AST
DNF VANDEVELDE Christian USA/GRM
DNF WEGMANN Fabian GER/MRM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
You'd think that after this weekend and with what's to come, if the Giro doesn't give them a rest day, the riders will take one.

The sprint teams are facing fewer and fewer opportunities, but I guess that they would prefer to get some legs back too.

Seems to anticipate a breakaway day is the popular choice so far. Given how upside down this Giro is turning out to be, it will probably turn out to be the only bunch sprint on pink Italian soil this year.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Uhh guys, it's an uphill sprint. Seems to be the Cunego/Garzelli type of thing. Garzelli mostly.

I would like to see either one get it, but I can't see them win it if the group is together, and I would be amazed if they were able to slip away.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
Doesn't appear that steep to me. Anyone know the % at the finish?

Beats me. Also, Astana's dead last in the fair play classification. I wonder if that means something ;)

Francois the Postman said:
I would like to see either one get it, but I can't see them win it if the group is together, and I would be amazed if they were able to slip away.

I didn't mean slip away, I meant actually win the sprint. It's uphill, supposedly.

Then again, the sprint yesterday was supposed to be flat, so the officials can't really be trusted, I suppose.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I'd call that a sprint on a false flat, not an uphill sprint. It means speeds won't be super high, not sure who that helps (if anyone).

I think Columbia and Garmin will chase down the break, most of them were chilling out in the Autobus today and won't have expended that much energy.

Jamsque said:
I'd call that a sprint on a false flat, not an uphill sprint. It means speeds won't be super high, not sure who that helps (if anyone).

I think Columbia and Garmin will chase down the break, most of them were chilling out in the Autobus today and won't have expended that much energy.
I think it suits Greipel perfectly. It basically means that it will be more of a "power-sprint" instead of just pure speed.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
If today isn't a bunch sprint, a sprinter won't win the points jersey.

Farrar is close to leading the competition. This has to be a bunch sprint for him or he can kiss goodbye to it.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Who ever wins will be Italian.

The home town boys need to pull their finger out or have a change of luck (yes they did win the TTT but they need a solo).

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
joy118118 said:
RS will beat all other teams after TOC.

Oh wait, why this 'Second Biggest Race in the world' is not even on the UCI world calendar? :eek:Something must go wrong.

I could take that declaration as your belief that RS don't have ToC in the bag.

Frankly the ToC is all RS have a chance of winning. Hopefully Rogers/HTC and Saxo with Cancellara, Voigt and Schleck ruin that for RS.

TRENDING THREADS