• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 9: Messina - Etna, 169km (let the race begin!)

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
La Pandera said:
This is just my own observation and opinion but Rujano always looks quite stretched out on his bikes such that his arms are almost straight when he's riding in the hoods. As far as the weight, the UCI has weight restrictions on all the bikes that the pro's ride on. This rule definitely isn't an advantage to a small rider like Rujano and gives a slight advantage to riders larger than him.
The bike fit part is all about comfort and being properly measured to a bike that optimizes one's abilities while at the same time allowing a certain level of comfort for the long days in the saddle. Rujano just looks to me like he's riding a bike that is not properly fit for him. I'm surprised he doesn't have his frames custom made and just have them painted with the bike sponsors logo.
Of course I could very well be wrong too.

He's too small for 700 wheels basically - I noticed the exact same thing today, he looks very odd on that bike.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Hood posted an interesting tidbit. Contador did a bike change on the climb with about 30 kilometers to go. That was before I had English commentary, so I figured it was a mechanical, but nope, it was planned ahead of time. They said during Giro recon he was testing out equipment. Did anybody spot anything on the video?

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/05/news/a
ndrew-hoods-giro-ditalia-notebook-menchov-sli
des-as-contador-flies_173367

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Andrew Hood posted an interesting tidbit. Contador did a bike change on the climb with about 30 kilometers to go. That was before I had English commentary, so I figured it was a mechanical, but nope, it was planned ahead of time. They said during Giro recon he was testing out equipment. Did anybody spot anything on the video?

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/05/news/a
ndrew-hoods-giro-ditalia-notebook-menchov-sli
des-as-contador-flies_173367

I recall someone mentioning that he had flatted and caught back up pretty easily but this was in the forum play-by-play dialogue. The flat had to have been mistaken for the bike change.

La Pandera said:
I recall someone mentioning that he had flatted and caught back up pretty easily but this was in the forum play-by-play dialogue. The flat had to have been mistaken for the bike change.

No, no, it was a bike change at 35-37kms to go. Saw it on tv.
Taken from the car by Mr Riis, himself, a la Cancellara, although I didn't see him flick a little switch.;)

(another reason why Eurosport sucked, today)

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
remember paris nice a couple of years ago, AC got isolated and l l sanchez and chavenel (i think, might have misremembered who it was) took it in turns attacking and not helping AC. result he broke (bonked) and lost minutes.

if anyone gets in trouble on the zoncolan stage they could lose 10 minutes easily, even conti.

yesterday was a message, "i'm here, i've got legs and you better be awake, aware, at the front and ready to chase, all the time"

today, he was just stronger.

chapeau to rujano, but some big names have lost significant time on 2 consecutive stages that very few people had him down to take time.

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
Give Rujano his propers for hanging with AC. Doesn't matter why, he just did what no one else could do and that really is all that matters. I will say Scarponi really took it on the chin mentally today. I think AC rides defensively on stage 13, blows the doors off on 14 and rides defensively on 15.

I am wondering if Scarponi has this image in his mind of Clint Eastwood saying 'A man has got to know his limitations.'

Or is it just a giant forehead slap? 'Oh snap I think I left my stove on!' Either way, a huge part of this gig lies between the ears.

lancaster said:
remember paris nice a couple of years ago, AC got isolated and l l sanchez and chavenel (i think, might have misremembered who it was) took it in turns attacking and not helping AC. result he broke (bonked) and lost minutes.

if anyone gets in trouble on the zoncolan stage they could lose 10 minutes easily, even conti.

The only way Contador can lose this Giro is getting a direct hit from a meteorite.

Let the race begin has now turned to let the race end. Contadoooooooor can't lose. Menchov cannot make up time in ITT's, Rodriguez shall have to focus on the Vuelta along with Anton who might grab one stage here. Poor Scarponi. Nice ride by Rujano. Poor scarponi. Odd to see Kiryienka and Sistov go well and also that they let Lastras go too. Pozzovio to go better on a harder mountain.

Contador
Nibali
Kreuziger only because of strong team and ITT
Rujano actually probably not 6: 05 secs back.
For my top 4 predictions.

May 15, 2010
Visit site
FabulousCandelabra said:
i have absolutely no interest in seeing contador in a bike race. boring.

used to feel the same way about Michael Jordan. But it was just the hater in me. It sucked to have that mentality and deny myself the thrill of what I was seeing.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
This isn't the Tour, where everybody immediately throws in the towel and looks to ride for 4th or 5th place, cos it adds cash to the contract.

I think they will all ride for 2nd place and then pray for a Contador suspension...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
lancaster said:

In that race he bonked because he forgot to eat. And that was basically the only time in the last years.

dont worry.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Ya, that's what I'm thinking... or HOPING... cuz if Conti races the Tour and Andy's not at that level it will be one boring Tour.

Nothing to worry about at TDF they have a formula: If Contador looks too strong for the other riders, they found a way to keep him from entering. Who wants another 7 TDF winner? not ASOS

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I saw the live coverage of the stage but I had to go out after the final but collected a nice piece of art over here

auscyclefan94 said:
Yes, incredible!!

auscyclefan94 said:
Nice work Rujano.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I wonder what ACF says about Rujano

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Your consistancy is laudable, but that attack was very unimpressive.

goggalor said:
Rujano to go supernova in 5...4...3...?

goggalor said:
Wow, Rujano!! He's not getting dropped easily.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

Fourier said:
looks like 2007

Yep! totally!!!!!!

Escarabajo said:
Nibali doing a smart race.

Totally trusting his diesel!

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Roman Kreuziger!!! He is getting better

was about time huh? The Kreuziger of this year is not the same Kreuziger! Looks like Vino has been giving lessons! and the change of teams suited him perfectly!

Thoughtforfood said:
watching that made me want to puke. He shouldn't even be riding. What a sham.

*yawn*

spalco said:
Why does Contador have to be Contador? Why can't someone more likable be that good? ;)

LOL? Contador is one of the most humble and nicer rider there in the peloton...

bobs *** said:
and the legend continues to grow.

+100000

Publicus said:
And here I thought he would just take it easy today and follow wheels

I thought the same! but He gave us a Verbier! :cool:

mr. tibbs said:
I don't think Contador is that much stronger than the others.

LOL? taking 50secs + 20 of bonif with Headwind!!!

dlwssonic said:
Andy schleck is a level above the rest too. He showed in the TDF 2010 that he can put 50 seconds into the others excluding bertie too. I believed if he entered this giro it would have been freaking epic!

Fail...
Andrew could have done very well in this mountain but when the Zoncolan arrived He would have lost MASSIVE time! but HOURS! without counting Grossglockner!

Zinoviev Letter said:
What's there to savour? A guy who tested positive for a banned substance is in the process of throttling the life out of the Giro.

*yawn*

spalco said:
Maybe, I don't know. But there's something about Contador that annoys the **** out of me, and it's not just the Clinic stuff.

Cuz He doesnt speak english and is from texas?? :D

Hugo Koblet said:
You're right. This race isn't just one day of Contador bashing. It's a lot of days of Contador bashing.

HAHAHAHAHAHA +1

roundabout said:
A shout out to Niemec.
Without him it would have been even more of a massacre.

Yep! massive respects to him!
Best domestique in Il Giro so far!

on3m@n@rmy said:
Help please. I need some edication... who's Niemec?

LOL??

rhubroma said:
I thought I saw Pantani again.

I'm pretty sure that Alberto was chanelling Marco out there...
Ahhhh Marco...

Hugo Koblet said:
Even then, Rujano was clearly the second strongest rider today.

+1

Altitude said:
Danilo must actually be riding clean.

also the age is catching him!

Parrulo said:
ty every1 <3

why did you put those scissors there?

Barrus said:
Today, just as yesterday it appears as though he did not listen to team orders that much.
No_Balls said:
I really sense Riis management in this.

The attack today was sooo planned!
and Alberto didnt even do a recon to this stage!
I'm scared for the other GC guys when they reach Zoncolan - Gavia and Grossglockner!

FabulousCandelabra said:
i have absolutely no interest in seeing contador in a bike race. boring.

well STFU and go and play monopoly... :rolleyes:

greenedge said:
Odd to see Kiryienka and Sistov go well and also that they let Lastras go too. Pozzovio to go better on a harder mountain

Not odd for me!
His form is really good and is improving! Also nice performance from Arroyo!

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
taiwan said:
Other disappointments were Pozzovivo, who lost so much time he might have to write the GC off, and Pardilla who I hoped might ride a decent GC also. Some pretty large time gaps for one of the milder climing stages.

Pozzovivo is ~ s.t as Rujano, he could still place top 5 if today was a bad day. I don't see him giving up GC just yet. This is a tailor made route for him

auscyclefan94 said:
I'd never seen Rujano in full flight on a climb like that. He was pretty impressive.

Look up the Sestrieres stage of the Giro 2005 - they're on youtube. There may be others but that one (over Finestre as this year) is great coverage. :)

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I'd never seen Rujano in full flight on a climb like that. He was pretty impressive.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
now you understand why people became fan of him in 2005 ;) although then he was attacking, now he had no other option than hanging on, because Contador is on a whole other level than Simoni and Savoldelli ofcourse

Well Rujano attacked in the last climb but He did the same that He did today! follow wheels and then strike hard... but today He didnt attack OFC...

Well... What a day huh!? WHAT A DAY!!!!
What a great day to be a Contador and Rujano's Fan! hahahaha
We saw today a Peyresourde + Verbier...
Just perfect! and his performance is more impressive cuz there was Headwind!
I'm Scarponi's fan but I was so excited when Alberto dropped him like a housewife! (Copyright to DT)
I just can't believe it yet... just WOW... WOWOWOWOWW...

You can't hate whatever you want Contador but you have to show MASSIVE respects for what He did today! and I'm pretty sure that He is not at 100% yet!

Rujano!!!!!!! yeeeeeeeeessss!!!! Is time to show him some respect now!!! His diesel was working really well today and the climb didnt even suit him! Can't wait till Zoncolan and Grossglockner!

What a change from Roman! Now even DT is showing him some respect! hahaha
Lo Squalo was good today! but He needs to show more balls if He really wants to win this Giro! Will be hard to ambush Alberto! and now He has to show some initiative and use a lot of energies to gain some time and Alberto will just "rest" following wheels until He gets bored and attacks them to put another min in the middle!

Gosh I love cycling...!!!!
Today was a perfect day for me!!!
All the riders that I'm a fan did and showed something today!!

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I love seeing Ryaguas getting excited :D. It was a really cool stage, but it is kind of boring to have one rider just dominate everything. :eek:

Ryaguas said:

You can't hate whatever you want Contador but you have to show MASSIVE respects for what He did today! and I'm pretty sure that He is not at 100% yet!

Today? He do like this all the time. From early spring to late in July ;)

Rujano!!!!!!! yeeeeeeeeessss!!!! Is time to show him some respect now!!! His diesel was working really well today and the climb didnt even suit him! Can't wait till Zoncolan and Grossglockner!

I was, too, very impressed by Rujano today. However, i see a massive loss in the mountains later on, in my crystal ball. It is too much Santiago Botero over him.