• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro Stage 5: Modena – Cattolica 175 km

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will it be a sprint?

• Total voters
I remember many fewer crashes in the 70s, particularly on the flat stages. There were far fewer cyclists competing in these races. Sometimes only 100 to 120 would line up at the start of the TDF.

They should illuminate at least one of the riders maybe even two from each team. This would solve two issues. First you would have far fewer crashes. And second the race would be so much more exciting because teams would have no ability to control and the top riders would be riding against each other individually from much more of each stage, like in those days when the top dogs would be isolated for almost an entire stage, particularly in the mountains.

That would be great when riding at night, but I don't think that'll help in this situation ;)
Gutted for Landa, seemed like he was in perfect shape for this + he's fun to watch.

Thanks. Landa seems to be a bit unlucky here. he was fairly upfront of the right side. Maybe it would have helped if he had been shielded by other teammates but mostly unlucky here.
I am not sure what can be done about that road furniture other than we have to live with it if we want the finishes in the towns and cities.

Thanks. Landa seems to be a bit unlucky here. he was fairly upfront of the right side. Maybe it would have helped if he had been shielded by other teammates but mostly unlucky here.
I am not sure what can be done about that road furniture other than we have to live with it if we want the finishes in the towns and cities.
Actually Italy is quite light when it comes to street junk, at least compared with UK or France, not to mention Belgium and Holland. As for the run-in to the finish it could had been a bit easier. I think the part in the downtown was a bit unnecessary. I personally would shorten it by Via Fiume. Not the widest road and two 90-deg turns in quick succession before the finish but on paper it should be easier? I would also change the run-in from Via Romagna to Via Salvador Allende as it also seems to be technically easier. That would also mean the technical bit would be within the last roughly 2,5km (within the 3k rule). The only change would be a slightly longer stay on SS16 which is a wide, non-technical road. The LFR run-in option is a disaster after i looked it up on streetview.

You'd think teams would have plenty riders to control during the 70es, sometimes starting with as many as 11 riders! per squad!

You’re right. There were fewer teams and therefore fewer riders. But you didn’t have so much teams with six or seven riders at top level.

So I guess my point is not so much a return to the 70s. It’s not that. It’s that if you have fewer riders at the start line you’ll have fewer crashes. So it would solve that issue. But then it might also lead to more attacking riding because each team would have fewer riders to be able to control. Particularly super teams. They would run out of helpers quicker and captains would be isolated quicker.

Last edited:
Even the team car crashed today. This is what sprint stages will do.

E1OE3x_XoAocDIC

Being at the front is safer. You have more control of where you or your team is going. That doesn't mean that you are not going to crash. Look Sivakov. But it is safer nevertheless.
I hate to see a GC contender go like this. And we always are looking to blame someone. But this is racing.
You don't understand what I'm saying. I'm referring to your comment. It has nothing to do with ANY of that stuff. You said you completely disagree in response to Bigcoward saying conventional wisdom has been proven to be wrong plenty of times. He even said he wasn't sure if it was the case here.

You don't understand what I'm saying. I'm referring to your comment. It has nothing to do with ANY of that stuff. You said you completely disagree in response to Bigcoward saying conventional wisdom has been proven to be wrong plenty of times. He even said he wasn't sure if it was the case here.
I read it afterward. He kind of confused me there. English is not my first language and get confused sometimes. Thanks for the clarification. :)

TRENDING THREADS