• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro Stage 9: Milano

A

Anonymous

not looking good.. at the moment its forecast to be chucking it down in milan.... (rain forecast for 2pm)

could be fun... personally, if they are gonna do a circuit all afternoon, can we ditch the team cars, and just have pits set up somewhere, so if they need assistance, new tyres or food or something they can just pit.. :D

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Good news: Horrillo is out of his induced coma, can respond and has moved his arms and legs.

Susan

That's fantastic to hear. Any chance to pass on any best wishes?

Seriously, I hope he gets his wife to buy him a lotto ticket.

A

Anonymous

Animal said:
Piazzale Biancamano too. 90 degree turn on granite cobbles.

Animal said:
With tram lines. See "Piazza Lega Lombarda" on Google Stree View

just had a look a photo on google earth of the junction.. that is a freaking mess.. :eek:

ive just gone around the whole course on google earth (its great isnt it) some very tight bits and narrow sections, some nasty juntions with tram lines, so bad sections of cobbles... lets hope for dry weather.. :eek:

Google maps do a split screen where you can see the map in the bottom half, and the streetview in the top. You can "drag" the viewer around the map to see various locations.

Piazza Cavour (right near where I used to work in the Via Senato) is absolutely crazy!

The Piazzale Loreto combination with 2k to go looks interesting as well.. Tight right hander into a street with trees and a dual track tram line in the middle followed by another tight right hander and then a 90 degree left hand turn. I guess there will almost be an Arenberg dash to be in the top 20 or so on the final lap. The Corso Buenos Aires appears to be used in both directions so it will be rather narrow until 400 meters to go

Looking at a current webcam shot of Milano I wouldn't be surprised by a shower (thunderstorm maybe) later in the afternoon.

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
cyclingnews is reporting

15:16 CEST
The stage today has been neutralized, by the way. The riders complained that the course was too dangerous. So we can expect a sprint, but we may well see a large bunch hang back and let the sprinters fight it out among themselves. Which is what the sprinters prefer anyway.

That means we won't see any changes in the GC or jerseys (barring something awful happening, which of course we don't hope.)

Why am I even bothering watching

May 10, 2009
Visit site
15:30 CEST
Hm, we think we have figured out the rationale for the slow pace today. Are they thinking, "You can make us ride this dangerous course, but you can't make us ride it fast"?

hmmm.... why did I wake up early for this? Come on, where is that suicidal ISD solo breakaway!!!???!!!???

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The Belgian commetator mentioned that he thought it's a shame that the titles (like Bunch packed and so on) are in English and not in Italian. And truth be told. I'm inclined to agree with that...

Has the race been neutralized, or have they just collectively decided not to ride to fast??

May 10, 2009
Visit site
And they're stopped!

hmmm.... this week hasn't been the best ever for the Giro huh?

Oh, moving again.... they should let fans ride with them... they are going slow enough!

Last lap at 32.6 kph.
RAI have been comparing the favourites standing.
Leipheimer v Basso.

It's suddenly dawned on them that, with the 61km ITT up soon, Ivan has made up a grand total of 4 seconds on the two "monster" mountain stages!

They hardly pulled out all the stops for their centanary Giro.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry guys but the rest day is tomorrow, what a shower of lazy ******s I am going back out on the bike.
Boring boring boring, who wants to watch a touring event! Might start watching the cricket.
The cream of pro cycling has just gone sour.

TRENDING THREADS