• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Glendora Mountain Road, Southern California

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
Anybody done this route before?

I'm doing it for the first time this coming weekend. What kind of climb am I looking at?

Great restaurants for post ride snack? Anything?

Thanks for the help in advance!

ViaPagliano said:
Anybody done this route before?

I'm doing it for the first time this coming weekend. What kind of climb am I looking at?

Great restaurants for post ride snack? Anything?

Thanks for the help in advance!

i won a race up to baldy village, and have ridden it many times. it is a very
cool route. up and down, not too steep until you get in to baldy village. then
it gets steep. food sources are minimal. small stores for snacks. you need to
be ready for the ride down, unless you have a ride. your fitness for climbing
better be there, or have your gears match your level.:cool:

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
i usually go up the crest or big tujunga to mount wilson and do my climbing that way or in the santa monica mountains. i have only done a couple time trials up glendora mountain rode but not to the top im never out that way and i dont drive. but i want to do that climb if you can go all the way it gets steep at altitude before the end of the rode have fun bring gels etc..

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Great climb. Not much water and it will be hot this weekend. Start early. I guess there are a few restaurants a few blocks from the base, but none on top.

If you like great burgers and Belgium beer go here for dinner, about 20 minutes from the base of GMR
http://www.thebackabbey.com/

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the tips, everybody.

definitely will bring gels and what not...but CLOSED?

I'm going with a group that hits that particular road often - I hope they know what's going on.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like it is open now. A few guys are going to do the loop starting at the base of Mt. Baldy/Mills/ Vons at 6 Sunday. Should be solid base miles.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I havent been up on Glendora mountain road for a few years but there used to be some 4 foot high gates they would close. So we hopped over them and when we got back we found out the road was closed. Not a big deal except if you forget about them on the way back when you are descending.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
We hit it Sunday and it was fantastic, wide open. Smooth tarmac, and very clean. Since the last fire some of the trees were skortched from the last fire. A bit fresh still. Pretty much from the landing about 5 miles up, to the short decent before the shack. All in all a great ride.

The Decent down Baldy has very new pavment to the tunnels. Excellent grip.

A few Motorcycles very courtious, and a quite a few Bow hunters.

We took it nice and medium and the loop seemed to take about 3 hours including a couple of stops

TRENDING THREADS